Can anyone help me choose which used computer to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good choice. Check out the video(s) on how to use it. Did it come with a manual? If not you might be able to find a pdf. That said, you'll still probably have to watch the videos.

A lot of the rentals in Asia are Suunto Zoops, so I assume it's a great recreational computer!

thx to all for the replies and suggestions...I ended up buying a slightly used Geo 2.0

I HIGHLY recommend you pay the $7-8 or whatever it is to learn how to use your dive computer at the below link. It has many video modules that shows you what the actual screen will look like in different scenarios and even has a dive simulation. It is super helpful. I know it looks stupid but it is a really good website. You will know exactly how to set all settings in your Geo 2 and what your computer is trying to tell you on a dive. They do a lot of other models as well and I thought it was an excellent supplement to the somewhat poorly written Oceanic manual (I have a backup Veo 2.)

Dive Computer Training

In the past I've borrowed, rented, or gone w/out a dive computer, but I plan on doing a lot more diving than I have in been (recently retired), so for many reasons clearly I need to buy a computer.

Since I don't need "the latest & greatest" in dive computer--and I'm not opposed to saving money :yeahbaby: --if possible I'd like to buy something used, preferably here on scubaboard's classifieds, though I'm open to ebay or whatever. However, since I'm not up on the different makes & models of dive computers, which have a good reputation, etc., I'm hoping I can get some suggestions from those of you w/ more knowledge & experience than myself advising me on which would be a good computer to buy, what's a fair price to pay, etc.. In exchange for your advice you'll receive my sincere thanks and a couple round of drinks if I should run into you somewhere!

Basically I just want something that's easy to use, easy to read, reliable, and durable. I don't log dives, don't download data to a computer, etc., so nothing high-tech needed. I'm open to either a wrist or console computer, I imagine there are pros & cons to both. Air integrated I assume would be a nice feature, but don't know if it'll be with the $$$ to me.

Feel free to ask questions if necessary, but "I don't know what I don't know", so I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Otherwise, thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!
I really love my Cressi Archimede II. it is very simple and large enough for me to read the digits. At +2.0 now, I won't be able to dive with modern handwatch-sized comps. The only thing I do not like is that once in the water, "Time" mode is switched off but the comp does not show any useful information. This makes timing of long surface swims when shore diving impossible. But maybe for you this does not matter.
UPDATE: Ooooops! No longer shipped to USA. WTH?..

I HIGHLY recommend you pay the $7-8 or whatever it is to learn how to use your dive computer at the below link. It has many video modules that shows you what the actual screen will look like in different scenarios and even has a dive simulation. It is super helpful. I know it looks stupid but it is a really good website. You will know exactly how to set all settings in your Geo 2 and what your computer is trying to tell you on a dive. They do a lot of other models as well and I thought it was an excellent supplement to the somewhat poorly written Oceanic manual (I have a backup Veo 2.)

Thx 4 the link, looks super-helpful, I will almost certainly do this!

Sorry to revive a 2 week old post. I am happy to open a new thread but I read everything on this thread and I am thankful for the wonderful advice so far.

I am also looking for my own first dive computer. There are so many options. I have used many. I've always been a fan of "KISS"

Mind if I post and we can go through some of these, the purpose is recreational diving. I am an advanced PADI, I've used a bunch of computers, watch style G2, Oceanic, aqualung, and a few built into the SPG. My local craigslist/online sales have local divers selling some great computers and all supposedly work and in good condition.

How convenient is a transmitter? seems like one more thing to go wrong, but I don't want to miss a good deal on a used computer with the optional transmitter. Here's what I am looking at local ads.

online amazon <200 new zoop, cressi leonardo, aqua lung, mares puck etc

$224 oceanic Geo 2.0 NEW Amazon/wikibuy
$300 scubapro mantis 1.0, black/green digits, used
$450 suunto d6i without transmitter, used
$500 oceanic VT3 WITH transmitter, used
$550 scubapro Z1 without transmitter, used

Hi @Dr. Deep

Do you have a peference for decompression algorithm? The computers you listed represent a wide range.

If you want to download, you will need a cable for some or all of these.

How convenient is a transmitter? seems like one more thing to go wrong, but I don't want to miss a good deal on a used computer with the optional transmitter.

I keep wondering about this myself: it's one more hose to get rid of but unless and until I get to dive a "streamlined OW" rig with no SPG, I won't know how much difference it makes IRL... So I'm sticking with my Leo for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom