Recent surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linzi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

I have recently had my gallbladder removed key hole. Three and a half weeks ago. No pain and wounds are healed. I have four incisions. One under my sternum, two under my ribs on the right hand side and the largest incision at the belly button 1.5 cm max. My surgeon was happy for me to do anything post operative. I mentioned diving and he gave me no restriction. Any advice appreciated. I have read some articles mentioning 4 or 6 weeks abstention from diving, but they don't state why. Would the main concern be lifting a heavy load in relation to risk of developing an incisional hernia? Thank you.

Many surgeons don't restrict activity after laparoscopic/robotic surgery, but one of the most common incisional hernias that I fix is a hernia in a laparoscopic/robotic incision when the patient wasn't restricted after their surgery.

After laparoscopic surgery, I give patients three restrictions. 1. No lifting or straining over 10 lbs (4.5 kg) for 1 week or over 50 lbs (23 kg) for 6 weeks after surgery, 2. Don't do anything that is inherently dangerous (whether you've had surgery or not!) like drive (or dive!) or operate machinery if you're impaired (eg by pain or pain medicine) or get in untreated water (eg lake, river, ocean) with an open wound (like an incision that still has a scab on it), 3. And if you do something and it hurts, your body's telling you to back off.

There's a really old thread where I gave a similar answer at https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/diving-after-gallbladder-surgery.17788 . The links in the post are dead, unfortunately, after all this time.

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Agree with BillP. No heavy lifting and the other 2 points.
You can have someone put the tanks and weights in the water and dive then.
Since every one of us is unique in their physiology and physical make up, the above is an opinion only and cannot be applied to generically to everyone. Best advice comes from the physician who took care of you.

Agree with BillP. No heavy lifting and the other 2 points.
You can have someone put the tanks and weights in the water and dive then.
Since every one of us is unique in their physiology and physical make up, the above is an opinion only and cannot be applied to generically to everyone. Best advice comes from the physician who took care of you.

Thank you for your reply. As stated my physician gave me no restrictions!

Many surgeons don't restrict activity after laparoscopic/robotic surgery, but one of the most common incisional hernias that I fix is a hernia in a laparoscopic/robotic incision when the patient wasn't restricted after their surgery.

After laparoscopic surgery, I give patients three restrictions. 1. No lifting or straining over 10 lbs (4.5 kg) for 1 week or over 50 lbs (23 kg) for 6 weeks after surgery, 2. Don't do anything that is inherently dangerous (whether you've had surgery or not!) like drive (or dive!) or operate machinery if you're impaired (eg by pain or pain medicine) or get in untreated water (eg lake, river, ocean) with an open wound (like an incision that still has a scab on it), 3. And if you do something and it hurts, your body's telling you to back off.

There's a really old thread where I gave a similar answer at https://www.scubaboard.com/community/threads/diving-after-gallbladder-surgery.17788 . The links in the post are dead, unfortunately, after all this time.

The above information is intended for discussion purposes only and is not meant as specific medical advice for any individual.

Thank you for your advice.

If you are 3.5 weeks out there is really no risk of wound infection.
I would avoid heavy lifting for a total of 6 weeks overall because increased intra abdominal pressure from straining increases hernia risk through the port sites.
Have someone else haul your tank. Other than that you should be able to dive.

With laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen would be inflated with CO2 which is long gone by 48 hours post op.

Tanks is not lifting but carrying. :wink: But serious, that is a big big difference. I can carry over 50kg on my back without problems and can walk stairs etc. But if I have to lift, my 35kg twinset is really heavy. So if someone can lift the tanks in your car, you only have to carry them. I know from divers who dove after just 1 week without problems, and did carry their own tanks, did some decompression dives, no problems. So 3.5 weeks is more than enough if you feel fit. If you are afraid, let another bring your tanks in the water, but normally you would be fine. And a recreational set is not heavy. Or dive sidemounts, then only 15kg a tank, so no problem. Think in solutions, not in impossibilities.

If you are 3.5 weeks out there is really no risk of wound infection.
I would avoid heavy lifting for a total of 6 weeks overall because increased intra abdominal pressure from straining increases hernia risk through the port sites.
Have someone else haul your tank. Other than that you should be able to dive.

With laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen would be inflated with CO2 which is long gone by 48 hours post op.

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of a boat dive next week (4.5 weeks post op) . Hubby will load my kit on the boat and help me get the kit on , roll in and de kit in the water when existing. The skipper and other divers on the boat have offered to help. it's about making an informed choice and I really appreciate the advice given.

I had Gangrenous Cholesticytis with Gallbladder removal in April. Waited six weeks before getting wet. Only relic are those darn holemarks in my torso!

Back
Top Bottom