Looking for input on 2nd stage + octo to pair with MK17 for ~45F water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go with either one of these two second stages: s600/g260.

The SP regulator is superior to the Diverite regulator. SP as a company is superior to DR also in all aspects.

I like the older SP 2nd stages quite a bit more than the current ones. I would suggest getting a 109/balanced adjustable, just make sure it has been updated with the current poppet/seat/spring/lever. Couv does a great job restoring these regs. There is a good reason why so many people are still diving with them 40-50 years after they first came out. They are certainly the most freeze-resistant SP 2nd stages, another benefit if you're in 40F water.

I like the older SP 2nd stages quite a bit more than the current ones. I would suggest getting a 109/balanced adjustable, just make sure it has been updated with the current poppet/seat/spring/lever. Couv does a great job restoring these regs. There is a good reason why so many people are still diving with them 40-50 years after they first came out. They are certainly the most freeze-resistant SP 2nd stages, another benefit if you're in 40F water.

Shameless plug begins...And I just happen to sell the full conversion kits new stock OEM parts including new orifice, spring, .141 curly feet lever, s-wing poppet and long crown X type balance chamber. Message me if you want one. Cheers.

I dive in the Pacific Northwest where the water temperature can get into the low 40s. I am leaning towards a Scubapro MK17 Evo first stage, but I am suffering analysis paralysis on the second stages. I need to pick a primary (S600? G260??) and then something else which can be cheaper and less performant for a backup. Cost is not my first concern, but I also can't say price is no object.

If it matters, I do use a long hose setup with the backup under my chin, and I will take the setup to the tropics once in a while--no plans to maintain a second set of vacation gear. I'm used to the funny looks I got with my old Dive Rite cold water gear on cattle boats. :wink:

I dive air normally and nitrox on vacation. Typical recreational stuff, nothing exciting.

I guess I don't have to stick with Scubapro for everything, but after chatting with my tech it certainly sounds like a safe bet. Open to any ideas you may have.
If you are dead set on SP, this article can provide a bit of insight to S600 vs G260.
g260 vs. s600

For the record, I have a MK17/G260 setup and I absolutely love it. I prefer G260 over S600 simply because I find G260 breathes a bit easier than a S600 (maybe it's just my imagination). I would definitely recommend G260 all day long for cold water diving if one decides to go the SP route.

The octo on my setup is R195. No frill, no thrill. It's just a backup for emergency situations. I don't see the value of having a matching octo in my opinion.

The last but not least: If you are considering SP, do give Buddhasummer's proposition a serious consideration. A lot the venerable members on this forum and myself will vouch for him.

Shameless plug begins...And I just happen to sell the full conversion kits new stock OEM parts including new orifice, spring, .141 curly feet lever, s-wing poppet and long crown X type balance chamber. Message me if you want one. Cheers.
You did not mention that you're selling the G250V. :wink:

Go with the g260. It is a much better in the way the parts assemble for the balance chamber.

Deep6 can be learned to service yourself but they also give one free service. You would have to mail them in for that. As I understand it, the class doesn't take much time and can be done over video call. I went with them since my uni requires servicing every year and I live in a PNW dive shop desert.

I know nothing about SP's other than that they're recommended very highly and it's pretty darn easy to find service for them in most dive shops

As compared to what? In what ways? Cheers.
The G260 has a metal balance chamber that screws into the barrel. This helps keep everything aligned in a far "superior" manner as I see it. The S600 just has a crummy plastic chamber that is kind of junking held in the a plastic C-clip. If I apply pressure to the S600 knob in a tangential direction I can actually mess with my S600 tuning.

After tearing both apart, I am just not impressed with the S600 for being a more expensive regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom