Teric bungee mount adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't the bungee that fits through the strap pin holes be really skinny? What thickness do you use for that?

I could dig one of my Terics out and take it apart to measure, but I'm hoping you can save me the trouble without going to any trouble yourself.
I did that in another thread. 0.07 inches.....a 1/16 bungee will fit through the hole. Kinda weak....

I have the adapter. The bungee can be fitted the way you mention. I'm actually feeling a little embarrassed because I didn't realize it could be done that way!

LOL After looking at it and thinking about it more, I was pretty sure it could.

I should receive mine on Monday. I will put it together and post a picture. See if anybody has a suggestion for a better way than what I come up with.

I did that in another thread. 0.07 inches.....a 1/16 bungee will fit through the hole. Kinda weak....

Thanks. 1/16 definitely sounds skinnier than what I would like.... I mean, 1/16 is skinny!!

I wonder if there is some kind of metal split-ring or tiny shackle or something like that, that you put through the individual lugs (in place of the strap pins). Then attach thicker bungee or surgical tubing to those.

The TINY threads on the small screw that screws into the end of each strap pin just really makes me nervous. Really, any screwed together critical connection that I can't at least put some Loc-tite on makes me nervous. But especially one that seems like it would be so easy to overtighten and strip those threads or break off the threaded post from the head. They're probably just fine from the factory. But, as soon as you remove/replace the strap yourself, how do you know if you put that pin back together and did not under- or over-tighten it?

The folks at Shearwater may be comfortable with the unlikelihood of a pin breaking or coming loose. But, they probably don't pay USD$1100 each for a Teric, either. They may not often travel with only a single Teric as their only computer for their trip. I don't know.

Or maybe I'm just a serious paranoiac.... Definite possibility. But, I'm only a paranoiac of none of these ever break... :D

I just received my Narked at 90 bungee adapter. It looks nicely made. I'll be using two pieces of bungee knotted at the ends, just like on my Perdix.

Why bungee? I much prefer the surgical tubing and will simply replace it annually or bi-annually.

Why bungee? I much prefer the surgical tubing and will simply replace it annually or bi-annually.

Trade-offs between surgical tubing and bungee (for other readers):
The plus side of bungee is the failure mode is not sudden/catastrophic and is harder to cut (thus the reason for frequent replacement of surgical tubing). Over-stretch is more limited than surgical tubing by the woven fabric jacket, which can be abrasive against waterlogged bare skin.

The main advantage of tubing or bungee is you don't need buckles -- just slip over your hand and up your arm. Reducing the time to don your last bits of gear is a big deal, especially when you are sweating like a fire hydrant in your drysuit.

I often thought a silicon based strap with moulded-in zig-zag fibers might be closer to ideal. It would have enough stretch that buckles wouldn't be needed, failure mode wouldn't be catastrophic, and the surface area would reduce pressure points.

Shearwater Teric bungee mount adapter

5.jpg
4.jpg 20190811_161248.jpg 20190811_161847.jpg 2.jpg 6.jpg

Nevermind, read the price wrong. I always forget some places use commas instead of decimals.

Not really a good design imho. Would love to have the flat adapter under the computer itself, not the whole rounded up around the hand. Cuz people have different had size, use different suit (dry vs wet), etc...

And it seems a little bit bulky in this config.

Would def prefer the type you made for Suunto. Just two small independent pieces.

20190418_004546.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom