How to restore a Knife Edge Piston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great post rslinger. Thanks for the details.
I have successfully restored and or altered hp and lp orifice seats using a hand held chamfer tool that I borrow from my reloading bench. Used lightly, it works fast and well. I true-up on flat level surface with high grit sandpaper stapled to the bench. Dollar store magnifying glass to inspect. Go dive.

Still here...

Great post rslinger. Thanks for the details.
I have successfully restored and or altered hp and lp orifice seats using a hand held chamfer tool that I borrow from my reloading bench. Used lightly, it works fast and well. I true-up on flat level surface with high grit sandpaper stapled to the bench. Dollar store magnifying glass to inspect. Go dive.

Still here...
Well, it's ghetto, I'll give you that, lol!
Hey, if the IP is truly stable within spec and the second stage doesn't leak, then I won't argue with your technique.
Regs are simple. Just precise.

RS...

I certainly admire your tenacity...but having said that...this work is in fact a modification...to a critical life-support sub-component and is not authorized by the manufacturer...

That's a bunch of B.S. If your life is threatened by a bit of IP creep, or even complete regulator failure, you really shouldn't be diving.

Further, the manufacturer's training for the technicians authorized to work on these 'critical life-support sub-components' and keep us poor helpless customers alive is nothing more than a weekend seminar that nobody has ever failed, and for which the only pre-requisite is employment at a dive shop. Not exactly medical school....

Regulators are very simple devices that do nothing more than lower pressure to a set value and allow divers to receive it at ambient pressure. They are far simpler than any number of automotive components, including brakes, that owners fix all the time without hearing this 'life support' garbage.

Rant off....it's been a while since I've had a good one! :D

That's a bunch of B.S. If your life is threatened by a bit of IP creep, or even complete regulator failure, you really shouldn't be diving.

Further, the manufacturer's training for the technicians authorized to work on these 'critical life-support sub-components' and keep us poor helpless customers alive is nothing more than a weekend seminar that nobody has ever failed, and for which the only pre-requisite is employment at a dive shop. Not exactly medical school....

Regulators are very simple devices that do nothing more than lower pressure to a set value and allow divers to receive it at ambient pressure. They are far simpler than any number of automotive components, including brakes, that owners fix all the time without hearing this 'life support' garbage.

Another side to the coin...good for you...if IP creep/total reg failure at depth is acceptable...then there was no need for the re-machining of the piston in the first place...

It's obvious that those with the largest number of posts have the most to say...not necessarily the most to contribute...in this case a liitle more value in the narrative would be helpful...and with only a 29% thumbs up rate...it it also evident that I'm not the only one who thinks what you say has little value...

Pleae by all means...rant away...

W...

Ip creep is at worst, an amazingly annoying occurance that results with a second stage (generally the primary) slowly bubbling between inhalations. It is hardly life threatening in most recreational settings.

It is probably useful to keep things in perspective.

Would you allow your young son/daughter who has just received OW certification to use this regulator...and all the other old junk that comes along with it...SPG/primary second/octo/inflator hose...etc...

My family members all dive with equipment I've worked on. However, I've been trained by technicians (not salesmen) not only in scuba regulator maintenance but also over 45 years in aviation and aerospace. As @halocline (one of the most informative posters if you'll bother to search) attempted to point out to you, regulators are pretty simple. If you don't understand that, again I say to you-DIY is not your forte.

Perhaps we need a new forum where you would excel: How about "Replacing your own gear?"

Lots of love,

Couv

I guess if one were to look at the edge of the coin, the manufacturer doesn’t support anyone who isn’t employed by a dive shop to do anything to a regulator and if they could get away with it they would disallow hose changes. The only requirement is a minimum wage job and a few hours of instruction to someone who may be perplexed about how to add fuel to their car.

I have to say I dont agree with all halocline has to say but he right about 1 thing ...I have learned in the 30 or so equipment repair clinics I have attended ..50 % of the attendees don't know how a reg works , they are at best re and re monkees ...and most lds have people who have taken a couple of repair clinics , gear they sell so hopefully repetition has made them competent re and re monkees , (yeah I know that the 60s group )...like anything in life there are good and bad ..........just my 2 cents

Good to see you back.
Your rants are like vitamins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom