Light and stiff fins for warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend the force fin pro. I have size 13 feet and most fins that fit me are enormous. Force fins are light and compact. I do not hand them up, when I climb a ladder, I just loop them over my hands. They give excellent power. Frog kicking works fine and they yield very good control. They have a learning curve because the effective kicking motion is different than conventional fins.

I like the quatro, they just dont have enough oomph in current for me. The RK3 are actually positively boyount, good propulsion in different kicks, and stiff.

In my search for warm water fins, I have owned OMS Slipstreams, Cressi Pro, Force Fin, Deep6 Eddy, Quattros, and currently the Go Sport. I found the Quattros lacking in stiffness, although decent fins. Used Slipstreams for several years and really liked them, and then the Eddy which had slightly better foot pocket for me. The Go Sports are lighter and slightly more flexible than Slipstream/Eddy (but much stiffer than Quattros) and perform well for all types of kick, IMO.

I found the Quattros lacking in stiffness, although decent fins

After using the Quattro for some years I feel the same, and that’s why I am planning to switch to the jet fin type. I suspect anyway that this is also simply due to the improvement in skills. As a beginner I found Quattro good also because they were not too much stiff... now I feel that stiffer fins would give me a more powerful kick, provided I will also get a drysuit. Quattro IMHO remain great fins

Hollis F2. Light, short so they fit easily in a suitcase, stiff as so all kicks can be completed easily.

Deep 6 Eddy fins or OMS Slipstreams if for some reason you can't get the Eddy fins.

Hollis F2. Light, short so they fit easily in a suitcase, stiff as so all kicks can be completed easily.

Light, stiff and compact in size indeed, and for that reason I bought a pair several years ago to use for travel. However, I quickly found them no match for current, as the comparatively small surface area generates comparatively less thrust. In my opinion, they are just TOO compact to handle anything but the mildest current.

Light, stiff and compact in size indeed, and for that reason I bought a pair several years ago to use for travel. However, I quickly found them no match for current, as the comparatively small surface area generates comparatively less thrust. In my opinion, they are just TOO compact to handle anything but the mildest current.

The Hollis F2 look like the same fin as the old Mantaray by APS. They make an excellent rutter (scooter diving, drift diving) but an awful propeller (current, general propulsion)... just not enough there, there.

- K

Jaye Reach.jpg

I love the apeks rk3's. I have size 14 feet and they still fit in my carry-on bag. Light weight (they float) and I think they come in an extra stiff version but the standards, in my opinion are just fine for a variety of kick styles, including frog.

I also have the quatros but they are too long for most of my luggage and won't even come close to going in my carry-on.

The force fins are nice and I know a couple of people who like them but I haven't tried them myself.

Back
Top Bottom