Light and stiff fins for warm water diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R.Chisholm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I own a pair of Scubapro jet fins that I use for cold water diving in a dry suit.

I also own a pair of Scubapro Seawing Nova’s I find to soft.

So – recently I have been taking the jet fins on warm water diving trips abroad and diving them while wearing a 3mm wetsuit and wearing booties.

However – they are quite heavy and more importantly are costing me a fortune in excess baggage to fly to and from the dive location.

So I’m looking for a fin that fulfils the following criteria:

- Open Foot for use with booties.
- Light
- But stiff
- Suitable for frog kicking
- Suitable for “tech” kicks i.e. backward finning or the helicopter turn
- If required in a strong current – not totally unsuitable for flutter kicking from the hip
- Comes with SS spring traps or bungee – not silicone straps.

Any recommendations?

Regards,

Rory

+1 for Mares Avanti Quattro +. Our whole family dives in them, my hubby, 2 boys & I love them!

+1 for Mares avanti quattro...
And if you find old Mares "Plana avanti" 2 or 3 they are good as well
Keep in mind anyway that most of the efficiency (or inefficiency) is due to the diver, not to the fins. Once you decide more or less the features you need (jet fin / non jet fin type, weight, dimension, color, etc.) many different fins and brands could be good for you
You can choose to use the bungee or (even better) the springs, I would not recommend to keep the strips if they come up with the fins. Bungee/springs are much easier to use

Another avanti quattro user, in fact, I use my full foot avantis in warm OW more than the open heel versions. They are 'suitable' for back kicks as you said you need, but you should know that they're not as good for back kicks as the jet-style fins are. There are always trade offs.

Back
Top Bottom