Intro to Tech this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want more details on class, you can send me.a PM.

@Sam Miller III - done. Wrote you a book! :)

I’ve talked with a number of local divers I like and respect. Several told me that ITT made a major improvement in their diving. Some divers can go into AN/DP or the like without additional work/training. Some can’t. One told me he was such a mess he took ITT twice for the extra practice before he took AN/DP. You wouldn’t know it now to see him diving.

So whether you do ITT, Fundies, or just some one on one time with a tech instructor, if you think you need some additional help before going on, do it.

We all learn in different ways, and options are a great thing. For me, ITT (required with NAUI progression) was an important step as it gave me exposure to equipment (doubles) that I hadn't had prior. Due to some significant surgeries to repair my shoulders, I didn't know if I could reach valves. The ITT class allowed me to "try before buying" as AN/DP was "all equipment mandatory". I actually did ITT twice, the first time being an "exposure, no card", and the second being the formal class.

YMMV

...//... I actually did ITT twice, the first time being an "exposure, no card", and the second being the formal class.
I can totally relate to that statement.

My advice to the ITT prospective student is to have your weighting NAILED in the rig that you are planning to train in. That means being able to hang without rolling right-left or head-tail. It takes a lot of instructor time to futz with lead to get you all the way there. Doesn't take long to get you close, but then you will be finning through the entire class.

Secondly, go for the smallest class size possible. I signed for ITT as I told @Marie13 that I would accompany her if she signed. 2 people in that class, and I knew just how long it takes a great instructor to dial someone in and do the skills properly (properly being repetition).

TWO students, nah. I secretly came for VIP and O2 -I own over 20 tanks/cylinders and it was just good economics to take the inspection courses. So, getting back to the story, I brought two rigs with me that needed balancing. A ScubaPro poodle jacket with "bad Ju-ju" :wink: and a pair of 50(?) steel dubs where one of the tanks was some weird-ass thing that nobody could identify. The tanks were different enough that the rig gave me a vicious roll to the left. That will be the subject of another thread after I research it a bit.

I wanted Marie to get the Full Monte from ITT. So I did the e-Learning, topside "chalk and talk", instructor in-water demonstrations, but then went off and did my own thing. It took two days to get those rigs tuned, so don't expect to just show up to ITT and have your instructor do it for you in a large class. If you can't do it on your own, pay the nickel for a private ITT class. Don't cheat yourself.

It was truly a relaxing and enjoyable adventure.

My weighting needed to be tweaked. I was roasting my arse off in my heavy thermals as that’s mostly what I’ll be diving. Steve left the 5lbs in V weight between my tanks and moved everything else off hips to a weight belt. Holy crap! First time I’ve ever worn one. That did the trick. 14 lbs on weight belt. I was nicely trimmed out after that. I was 6” off a very silty bottom, frog kicking, and not stirring the bottom up.

I ended up getting a DUI weight harness. Worked very well last weekend on the lake single tank. Much more comfortable than weight belt. I’ll try it out with my doubles first time this weekend at the quarry.

I enjoyed the small ITT so much that’s when I decided to do AN/DP as a private class as well.

And a huge thank you to @lowviz for daring me to do this! Loved every minute. :D

And, yes, that poodle jacket from DD needs to be exorcised. Too bad I didn’t have any holy water on me! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom