How to restore a Knife Edge Piston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
About four months ago, I posted a thread on How to restore a Piston Regulator that has IP creep . In probably excessive detail, we walked through how to restore a piston regulator with a blunt-end piston. Most newer pistons have switched from knife-edge pistons to blunt pistons with a cone seat. They’ve proved more reliable at sealing, and less prone to damage.

But for those of you that love vintage gear like a Mk 5,
20190814_230755.jpg
a Mk 7 “honker”
20190814_232056.jpg
or an original Mk 10,
20190814_231457.jpg
you’ll need to be able to restore a knife edge piston.
20190814_233439 2.jpg

Unlike the rounded edge of a blunt end piston like a Mk10+, a Mk20 or a Mk25, the knife edge piston seals with a sharp edge that digs into the seat.
20190815_132247 3.jpg

There’s no need to go through all the detail of that first thread again here. Since these are likely vintage regs, the high pressure piston shaft oring is captured deep in the bore of the reg body. So perhaps take a peek at the thread How to use a Double Hook Pick to assist you with disassembly. Otherwise, the same concepts of evaluating IP creep, parts cleaning and reassembly apply.

But let’s take a look at the unique feature of these regs: the knife-edge piston. It originally sealed against a flat seat, and the match had to be perfect. In fact, you can use the new cone seats that were introduced for these regs later, and we’ll take a look at why. But the biggest factors that cause leaks in these old regs are scratches on the shaft of the piston (where HP air slowly leaks out the ambient chamber holes, as can be demonstrated when the reg is submerged), or nicks in the knife edge itself (causing IP creep). Both occur from technician mishandling. The shaft can be scored against the bore of the regulator body if a piston is removed or inserted in anything but a perfectly straight direction. And the knife edge is susceptible to a host of ills: clanking against other metal parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, falling over on a metal workbench, being dropped or even (!!) being pushed out of the regulator with a screwdriver.

Here’s an original Mk5/Mk7 piston with a deep nick right on the knife edge:
20140703_190755-1_2.jpg

It’s no surprise that there was significant IP creep and resultant freeflow from the second stage.
How do we fix it?

Well, you can’t just sand it flat. A knife edge piston works against a flat seat because there is sufficient force to indent the plastic of the seat with the metal of the piston. That requires a knife edge because of the firmness of the HP seat needed to withstand tank pressure, not just intermediate pressure.

Here’s some math, and if you want, just skip this section.
Assume the Intermediate Pressure (IP) is 130 pounds per square inch. The diameter of the Mk5 piston head is about 1 1/4". Using our high school math formula for area (πr2), with a piston head area of about 1.22 sq in, that means that there are about 166 pounds pushing on that shaft, and it’s all concentrated on the thin knife edge. It’s enough to dig into the plastic and create a seal. What is the area of that knife edge? If you examine the depression in an old seat, you’ll see a thin ring maybe 2/100’s of an inch wide. 166 pounds concentrated on that little line is equivalent to thousands of pounds per square inch of contact area. No wonder it seals!
Now if you grind the piston knife edge flat, you increase the contact area by 2-10 times, depending upon how much of the knife edge you convert to a dull flat. This substantially reduces the pounds per square inch that the piston places on any given portion of the HP seat, with the result that it can no longer withstand the adjacent 2,000-3,000 pounds per square inch of tank pressure, and IP creep results.

The way to attempt to maintain the knife edge is to carve out (slowly sand out) metal from the inside of the piston shaft in the same angle originally machined, until the nick disappears.

Depending upon the size of the nick, it can be a tedious process, removing all that metal:
Here’s a schematic knife edge piston shaft end, in cross-section and side views.
upload_2019-8-14_22-52-26.png

Here’s a nick, same views:
upload_2019-8-14_22-52-10.png

And here’s what we have to accomplish:
upload_2019-8-14_22-53-6.png

The key to the process is a product called Micromesh.
Essentially cloth backed Wet-Or-Dry sandpaper, it comes in grits from 1,200 to 12,000.
For our purposes, 2,400 to 8,000 will suffice.
20190814_234638.png
See next post...

In order to carve out the inner cone of metal that will shave the piston down to below the bottom of the nick, one needs to match the shape of the Micromesh to the cone of the piston:
20190815_132247 3.jpg

For a tiny nick, it’s often feasible to start at 4,000 grit and work until the knife edge is restored, and then polish with 6,000 and 8,000 grit.

Working on a piston like this is greatly simplified by investing $25 in a USB microscope that lets you view the edge with 30x magnification.
20190814_175601.jpg
Alternatively, you can spend $150-250 on an actual binocular microscope (made in China for that price), that is a little faster to focus and view the effect of successive passes of sandpaper on your piston.
20190815_130252.jpg

There are those that comment on the use of a Dremel tool, of mechanical erasers, of a gray pencil eraser and other methods to dress knife edges and 2nd stage orifices. Once you have examined your work with these alternative methods under the microscope, you will immediately understand why 6,000 grit is probably the minimum finishing grit for a HP fitting (like a piston) and 4,000 is the lowest I will go with a second stage orifice. The scratches of heavier grit, and the microscopic air passages they represent clearly make Micromesh or various rouges and cloth applicators, the best way to restore these irreplaceable items.

Here we have a deep nick in a Mk7 piston:
20190815_111830_1.jpg

A small square of Micromesh is wrapped around the tip of a device that has a complementary shape. While a pencil first comes to mind, one discovers that the slope of a pencil end is too shallow to do more than sand the inside of the piston shaft, and doesn’t easily reach the knife edge. Here, instead, we are using the plastic end of a ball point pen.
20190815_111907.jpg20190815_111922.jpg
The cone of Micromesh is held at an angle that approximates the shape of the piston’s inner slope, and using thumb pressure, the piston is rotated against the Micromesh.
20190815_111935_1.jpg

It’s necessary to frequently reposition the square of sandpaper to bring fresh material to bear. 1,200 grit can be fairly aggressive, but dulls rapidly.

In this case, initial forays with the conical shaped approach were frustrating, because it’s not obvious just how much has to be removed. Here after several passes, the nick is still very visible:
20190815_111955.jpg
After a few more passes, it’s still fairly prominent.

So in a case like this, we can find our end state faster by indeed grinding the piston flat. This should NOT be done with firm pressure like this:
20190729_151244.jpg
but rather by using the weight of the piston alone to abrade the excess metal that surrounds the nick. Place the piston on a 5/32" hex key. Rest the key on the Micromesh, and spin the piston perfectly vertical, using the weight of the piston only to drive abrasion.
20190729_151228.jpg

See next post!

At that point, with the nick gone and a flat (excessively wide) knife “edge” created, you return to using the cone approach to recreate the inner bevel, and restore the knife edge:
20190815_112358.jpg
As you can see in this photo, due to the pressure used to carve out a new bevel, the "knife edge" is slightly rounded at the outermost edge. What has happened is that the Micromesh's cloth backing has depressed under pressure, converting a flat carving into one that curves slightly at the edge of the metal, where the sandpaper curls up around it.
In order to put a final knife edge back, we use lighter pressure, and finer grit.
With 4,000 and 6,000 grit and very light pressure, the outer edge becomes sharp again as visible under the microscope:
20190815_112333.jpg
It's not quite as steep an angle as the original bevel, but will seal quite nicely. If a steeper angle is desired, you only have to put in more time with the coarser grits. This restoration took approximately 45 minutes of hand work.

Next we turn our attention to the piston shaft. Simply wrapping a square of Micromesh around the shaft and twisting it under firm pressure is enough to remove scoring. I seldom start with larger grit (smaller numbers) than 4,000 grit for this step, and will often progress all the way to 12,000 grit to get a mirror finish.
20190815_112007.jpg
A mirror finish is less likely to leak, but may put more stress on your HP o-ring inside the regulator as the piston works back and forth under use, unless lube is maintained. Therefore, stopping short of 12,000 grit is probably warranted.

Now we can turn our attention to the old fashioned flat seat. This seat likely has a groove from previous use.
20190815_120040 1.jpg
By placing the seat on some 1,200 grit Micromesh on a FLAT, FIRM surface,
20190815_120118.jpg
you can rub the excess plastic away in only a few minutes.
It is important to rotate the seat every so often as you rub back and forth
20190730_142556.jpg
to even out any imperfections in your technique, so the new face is completely flat.

I put the reg together, and pow! Immediate lockup with no IP drift and no leak.
SUCCESS?

Well, no. The IP was 150 psi, which is over specification.
See next post...

Our successful restoration has revealed (caused) us a completely new problem.

Intermediate pressure is determined by the compression of the spring underneath the piston.
All other things being equal, the regulator on the right will have a higher IP than the one on the left
because the right spring is compressed more. We commonly do that with shims:
NormSprg.jpg
ComprSprg.jpg

When we restore a knife edge piston, microscopically speaking, we
shorten the piston by removing the nick:
Pistons.jpg

Thus, when we replace the piston in the regulator, and open the tank, IP will continue to rise until the
knife edge seals against the seat. In order to do that the piston must rise higher, compressing the spring more. When the reg seals, it will seal at a slightly higher intermediate pressure:
NewIPs.jpg

Add to that the fact that you've resurfaced the HP seat, and removed a little more thickness.
Now the piston has to reach even higher to seal, compressing the spring even further.
Usually it's not an issue, with garden-variety nicks. One to three psi is a common net rise.

But occasionally, you'll have a reg that was running 125 with shims now hitting 150 after removal of a deep nick, if you've restored both the piston and the seat. The easy solution is to just remove a shim or two, until the regulator is back within spec.

But what if you started at 125 with no shims, and are now hitting 150 psi?
Courtesy of @couv , in the thread Help with Scubapro MK10 Rebuild , we see the set of three standard cone seats provided by Scubapro in their Mk10 kits.
SP_Seats.jpg

Well, if we take that tallest seat, and use it instead of the thinner flat seat that we resurfaced,
our reg's 150 psi IP may drop right back down to 130 or so:
20190730_145758.jpg

Why? Because with a taller seat, the piston will not have to rise as much before contacting the seat, and the spring it is working against will now be less compressed than it was with the thinner resurfaced seat.

Mark 10 seats can be used in the Mk5, Mk7 Honker, and even some other manufacturer's regs.
Problem solved!

Lurvely Dr. Rob. I'm looking forward to the PDF version for my library. ;-)

Thanks,

Couv

This brings us a completely new problem.
Intermediate pressure is determined by the compression of the spring underneath the piston.
All other things being equal, the regulator on the right will have a higher IP than the one on the left
because the right spring is compressed more. We commonly do that with shims:
View attachment 534984 View attachment 534985
When we restore a knife edge piston, microscopically speaking, we
shorten the piston by removing the nick:
View attachment 534986
Thus, when we replace the piston in the regulator, and open the tank, IP will continue to rise until the
knife edge seals against the seat. In order to do that the piston must rise higher, compressing the spring more. When the reg seals, it will seal at a slightly higher intermediate pressure:
View attachment 534987

Add to that the fact that you've resurfaced the HP seat, and removed a little more thickness.
Now the piston has to reach even higher to seal, compressing the spring even further.
Usually it's not an issue, with garden-variety nicks.
But occasionally, you'll have a reg that was running 125 with shims now hitting 150, if you've restored both the piston and the seat. The easy solution is to just remove a shim or two, until the regulator is back within spec.

But what if you started at 125 with no shims, and are now hitting 150 psi?
Courtesy of @couv , in the thread Help with Scubapro MK10 Rebuild , we see the set of three standard cone seats provided by Scubapro in their Mk10 kits.
View attachment 534988
Well, if we take that tallest seat, and use it instead of the thinner flat seat that we resurfaced,
our reg's 150 psi IP may drop right back down to 130 or so:
View attachment 534989
Why? Because with a taller seat, the piston will not have to rise as much before contacting the seat, and the spring it is working against will now be less compressed than it was with the thinner resurfaced seat.

Mark 10 seats can be used in the Mk5, Mk7 Honker, and even some other manufacturer's regs.
Problem solved!

RS...

I certainly admire your tenacity...but having said that...this work is in fact a modification...to a critical life-support sub-component and is not authorized by the manufacturer...

A factory authorized repair facility would just replace the piston...no mods/no additional time required...and the reg would be returned to the customer in ''as new condition''...if the reg is in fact no longer supported by the manufacturer and has this damage...it should be considered scrap...and discarded

Further...at some point in the future your reg may end up becoming the property of someone else...which in its current ''modified state'' may not be a good thing...

Also...taken into consideration that the piston shaft is now sligtly shorter...this modification repair cannot be performed for a second time...and a ''new'' replacement piston will be required...why not change it now and be done with it...

Another consideration is that the original knife edge may have been case hardened...and now that the case hardening has been ground off...the remainder of the piston shaft may not have the same temper...which will cause the reg to fail...which is also not a good thing...

Finally...the attached photo is of a high performance DGX house brand regulator...balanced/environmentally sealed/turret fitted...sold new for $150...why would you even think of doing what your doing...especially when your considering the cost of expensive magnification instruments to be able to verify your work...

W...

DGX House Brand First.jpg

Indeed! Why would one bother?
I have several Deep6 sets myself! Great new gear at a great price.

Boys will be tinkerers. They always have been. The Vintage Forum here is testament to that. I feel an obligation to help my fellow divers understand why their gear works the way it does. I want to share knowledge. What folks do with it is up to them. This nick was a bad one, so the demo was useful for what could be done. You're right, there's not enough length left in that piston for another big restoration. If you can't meet specs, then in the dump it goes. But you should know, even in the Scubapro technician seminars, the instructors talk about "dressing" a piston. This is merely an extreme example of accepted practice. Now the reader knows how "dressing" should be done properly.
The piston used in the demo was manufactured by Scubapro more than 30 years ago. Yet unbelievably, some folks still dive them. See my upcoming thread on how a Mk7 Honker is restored and tuned for more on that.
People make their choices, and take their chances. Your comments are a valuable warning.
Yet the principles used here are what keep my very first regulator still diveable after all this time. I don't take it deep. I don't take it by itself. But as a conversation starter among divers? As a demonstration that tuning and maintenance are 90%, and new technology is 10%? It's perfect!
Thank you for your input!

I certainly admire your tenacity...
....and I your's. No matter how many times we point out that this is the Do It Yourself forum you keep coming back with the same denunciation, and your solution to most problems is......"Just buy a new one"

life-support

To paraphrase @Thalassamania "Yes, it's life support, that's why I Do It Myself."
I miss Thal....

Just the other side of the coin Couv...

If any of my above considerations have any validity...and I believe I've made four...this particular ''repair'' becomes unsound...

I have taken the ScubaPro reg service course...and at no time did the factory authorized instructor...even remotely suggest ''re-machining'' a worn or damaged piston...and these pistons did not receive this type of damage while they were sealed inside the regulator...

Buying new is an option especially at the low price I indicated...not the only one...factory authorized service...using the correct service replacement part is the best option...

This is a prime example of a re-worked piece of dive gear that ends up on E-Bay and as soon as the ''new/unfortunate'' owner discovers it dosen't work properly...he posts on SB looking for help...

At which time the DIY speculators will post ten pages of ''help''...none of which solves the problem...

The response that was needed was...lesson learned...deposit in trash...

Would you allow your young son/daughter who has just received OW certification to use this regulator...and all the other old junk that comes along with it...SPG/primary second/octo/inflator hose...etc...

W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom