Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

signanandup

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Sure this has been asked earlier, but looking for newer datapoints.

I am planning to get open water certified when I visit (Nov if that matters). This would be my first diving ever. There are tons of scuba schools in that area. I researched some and the price is all over the board varying from $270 (+ extra hidden costs of course) to $650. I am looking for an economical option, in the sense I am not looking for a cheap operator, rather a price competitive instructor who would make my first time diving and certification experience eventful with good dive sites, safe and hassle free without extras and hidden costs.

Which scuba school/operator would you recommend in Playa del Carmen or Cozumel?

All inclusive PADI certification (including learning material, tests, certification fee, crew pak, etc) is better, since its lesser hassle chasing these things when you are on a vacation. Dive shops in PDC can also take people to Coz dive sites, but they might not due to cost restrictions, but some operators do to satisfy their customers as far as I saw and some of them could also be recommended. On the other hand, shops in Coz have easier access to some sites and might be cost effective based on that, recommendations again are welcome.

Looking for 2-3 options who I could research more and choose. That would help a lot. Thank you!

Also, does one location (PDC or Coz) have better diving experience than the other ? I see that the reefs might be better in Coz, but off the mainland there might be more creatures.

I don't have any recommendation for a specific shop, but some general recommendations:

The price of the course could vary quite a bit depending on class size. My first reaction to your price range was "wow, $650 is crazy!" but then I reconsidered... for a small class, or even one-on-one instruction, that price could be very reasonable and you could get a lot for your money. On the other hand, a $350 class with 14 students could leave you frustrated. Get the details on class sizes.

Cozumel does have some great dive sites, but for an OW class it would be a lot of hassle for a PDC shop to take students over to Coz just for their OW course dives. Your OW course should be focused on introducing you to the underwater world while emphasizing the skills and information you need to be a safe diver. I would avoid any shop that tries to pile on too much (i.e a trip over to Coz in addition to everything else you have to do for the class.) A reasonable PDC shop would conduct OW dives in PDC, near the shop. There's plenty to see and it's a heck of a lot simpler than taking the class across the channel. A reasonable compromise might be to finish the class in PDC, then take a day (or two?) to dive in Cozumel. Much easier to do so when you're not confined by the restrictions of the class environment (i.e. other students, skill requirements on the dives, etc)

Dive shops in Coz... of course there are a lot of them. And Cozumel has some amazing stuff to see underwater. But a lot of the great sites that Coz is known for are at depths greater than 60 feet... which means you won't be going to those sites in your OW course. The shallow sites on Coz are pretty cool also, but if going to Coz (instead of PDC) to take your OW course involves extra effort you might find that the effort doesn't pay off. The OW course experience on the mainland could be just as good.

As for creatures... fairly random (although probabilities for certain animals at certain sites vary.). But that's part of the fun of diving, you just never know who or what will show up on a dive. In general, there's no lack of critters on Cozumel dive sites. So if you've been given the impression that the animals are all near the mainland, but the coral is all in Coz... nope.

In any case, take it slow, focus on your skills... and have fun!

Cheap is the worst criteria to pick an instructor. Thorough and fun beats cheap every day of the week. I'm not down there, so hopefully you'll get to find out who is the best.

Cheap is the worst criteria to pick an instructor. Thorough and fun beats cheap every day of the week. I'm not down there, so hopefully you'll get to find out who is the best.
And thats specifically why I put in "price competitive for the worth they provide" instead of "cheap". Because after some research I found cheap is not the criteria I should use to pick a instructor (like you say). So I am instead look for a good instructor who can be economical compared to the expensive ones who do the same. Hope that differentiates this question from the "cheap" question.

Do your learning now at home.
Online course.
or Local dive shop.
Rent gear for now.
Do pool work at home.
Go down for your open water dives.
Do the open water dives wherever you decide to stay.
Don't waste days of vacation time on the part you can do at home.

I don't have any recommendation for a specific shop, but some general recommendations:

The price of the course could vary quite a bit depending on class size. My first reaction to your price range was "wow, $650 is crazy!" but then I reconsidered... for a small class, or even one-on-one instruction, that price could be very reasonable and you could get a lot for your money. On the other hand, a $350 class with 14 students could leave you frustrated. Get the details on class sizes.

Cozumel does have some great dive sites, but for an OW class it would be a lot of hassle for a PDC shop to take students over to Coz just for their OW course dives. Your OW course should be focused on introducing you to the underwater world while emphasizing the skills and information you need to be a safe diver. I would avoid any shop that tries to pile on too much (i.e a trip over to Coz in addition to everything else you have to do for the class.) A reasonable PDC shop would conduct OW dives in PDC, near the shop. There's plenty to see and it's a heck of a lot simpler than taking the class across the channel. A reasonable compromise might be to finish the class in PDC, then take a day (or two?) to dive in Cozumel. Much easier to do so when you're not confined by the restrictions of the class environment (i.e. other students, skill requirements on the dives, etc)

Dive shops in Coz... of course there are a lot of them. And Cozumel has some amazing stuff to see underwater. But a lot of the great sites that Coz is known for are at depths greater than 60 feet... which means you won't be going to those sites in your OW course. The shallow sites on Coz are pretty cool also, but if going to Coz (instead of PDC) to take your OW course involves extra effort you might find that the effort doesn't pay off. The OW course experience on the mainland could be just as good.

As for creatures... fairly random (although probabilities for certain animals at certain sites vary.). But that's part of the fun of diving, you just never know who or what will show up on a dive. In general, there's no lack of critters on Cozumel dive sites. So if you've been given the impression that the animals are all near the mainland, but the coral is all in Coz... nope.

In any case, take it slow, focus on your skills... and have fun!

Nice suggestions. Class size is a good thing to consider. The other idea to actually take separate dives in Coz after PDC OW certification also makes sense.

If I would definitely go to Coz anyway, so thought why not do the OW there if things are better there. PDC/Coz is fine I guess. Now I need to find a good instructor.

All other things being equal, a price differential might be determined by whether the 4 checkout dives are done off a boat, or by a convenient and less costly shore dive. So be sure to include that variable in your evaluation. (nothing wrong with shore dives. Often that may allow an instructor to teach without the added concern of adhering to a boat's timeline)

Do your learning now at home.
Online course.
or Local dive shop.
Rent gear for now.
Do pool work at home.
Go down for your open water dives.
Do the open water dives wherever you decide to stay.
Don't waste days of vacation time on the part you can do at home.

I am consider this as an activity for the vacation for the half a day and spending some time elsewhere in the evening or night nearby. May be its better to do the activities split up, but that just increases costs. (I did the math and its atleast about 50% more!)

All other things being equal, a price differential might be determined by whether the 4 checkout dives are done off a boat, or by a convenient and less costly shore dive. So be sure to include that variable in your evaluation. (nothing wrong with shore dives. Often that may allow an instructor to teach without the added concern of adhering to a boat's timeline)
True boat dives look like premium stuff (in the sense cost more if part of OW certification). I am looking to have atleast 2 boat dives included in the certification (whoever I choose) to have that experience ticked off. Would that be a safe bet ?

I back up Lion Fish Do the PADI academics at home, and find a local instructor to do your pool work. Then come to Cozumel for your four open water dives. At Aldora we never take more two students per instructor and all four dives are boat dives. The cost is about $60 more than the cost of 4 boat dives and includes equipment.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom