Best Hood that doesn't squeeze my head like a ripe melon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Waterproof H1. Best hood I've ever used by far.

Also, hoods can be custom made...look up custom made/made to measure drysuits...often they take head and neck measurements to have a hood made to accompany the suits they build. Contact one of these places and see if they can make you something custom to your head size and shape.

-Z

Like a mask, “best” is a function of fit. Someone saying one brand is best is worth exactly what you paid for it. Find the right fitting hood and that is the best. For me, the Aqualung 3mm with a couple holes burned in it, and the K01 are the best.

+1 for fourth element..it’s to only non ‘waterproof’ item I have. I swear by waterproof but prefer the fourth element exotherm over my waterproof 5mm and 7mm

All are excellent but I found the waterproof took longer to break in and were a little more ‘squeezy’ on my melon.

Hi @Viper12161

I quit wearing a hood many years ago and switched to hooded vests. I found that if I needed the extra warmth from a hood, I got significantly more from the hooded vest, added several degrees of extra comfort. Personally, I found the hooded vest at least as comfortable, or more comfortable to wear. I have had several over the years. I currently dive a 5/3 mm Henderson Thermoprene Pro. I only dive in water down to the low 50s, they also make a 7/5 mm model. They are moderate in price. I take my hooded vest with me on every dive, add it if I need something over the full suit I picked out for the day.

Something different to think about

I also believe a hooded vest is better but I personally dive a wetsuit that has the hood attached. I just feel they are a more comfortable wetsuit and if I'm wearing a 7 or 8mm wetsuit I will be needing a hood anyway.

Waterproof hood - it is tight enough to keep my noggin warm but not too tight as to give too much pressure. I have found that too tight a hood exerts pressure on my windpipe making me susceptible to gagging if I move the wrong way - not pleasant in the least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom