Primary Light for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm using a Northern Light Scuba 40W Super Spot with dimmer as my main light head and have yet to find anything else I like as much. Bright (Very BRIGHT), tight beam, with just enough spill to the outside to let you see the walls of the cave, and the dimmer allows you to let oncoming divers live and makes it usable in the airspaces without overheating.
The Focus and Thor lightheads, although quite good, just aren't in the same class.

Michael

For my money, you can't go wrong with Light Monkey or Halcyon. I use a LM 32W VF LED as my primary. It's fantastic in clear water. Head and shoulders above the Focus. That thing lights up a cave better than anything else I've ever used. But when I get into darker water or places with lots of particulate, I find myself a bit jealous of my buddy's Focus 2.0. The "punch" is significantly better. Ideally, I'd own both. It's just not high on the list of priorities right now. But you can't go wrong with either. Build quality and service after sale are top notch with both.

I usually dive in crap vis, the focus does work better than the LM there, I haven't compared them in the caves. Thanks for the post.

_R

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare DiveRite EX35 with LM32vf, Focus and other top of the line lights? I dive an LM32vf and I am happy with the light output but not so happy with the beam with it's dirty spot despite focusing. I am also looking for something I can take with me on a plane.
EX35 looks promising on paper.

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare DiveRite EX35 with LM32vf, Focus and other top of the line lights? I dive an LM32vf and I am happy with the light output but not so happy with the beam with it's dirty spot despite focusing. I am also looking for something I can take with me on a plane.
EX35 looks promising on paper.

I have been diving an EX35 for about 6 months. I have dove with buddies sporting both LM and UWLD primaries. I knew they were recent versions, but don’t pay much attention to what model they are. I have found the EX35 beam to be a little tighter than anything else I have compared it to. And brightness easily better. A couple time, I have dropped the setting down a level, to help balance lights for signaling.

I have been diving an EX35 for about 6 months. I have dove with buddies sporting both LM and UWLD primaries. I knew they were recent versions, but don’t pay much attention to what model they are. I have found the EX35 beam to be a little tighter than anything else I have compared it to. And brightness easily better. A couple time, I have dropped the setting down a level, to help balance lights for signaling.

Now that sounds pretty good... Have you figured out a good way to rig a tail loop for attaching a double ender? For some reason the EX35 lacks a machined groove for that purpose.

I'm using a Northern Light Scuba 40W Super Spot with dimmer as my main light head and have yet to find anything else I like as much. Bright (Very BRIGHT), tight beam, with just enough spill to the outside to let you see the walls of the cave, and the dimmer allows you to let oncoming divers live and makes it usable in the airspaces without overheating.
The Focus and Thor lightheads, although quite good, just aren't in the same class.

Michael

I'm not a cave diver or even technical diver, but...
Came here to say the exact same thing, I love my NLS 40W, absolutely brilliant primary light.
Very bright and tight beam, dimmer is also very nice.
I don't have much else to compare it to really, but I don't see myself swapping it out for something else unless it completely dies on me.

Move it to classifieds?

Move it to classifieds?
Or delete it. It appears to be one of a series of sales pitches disguised as reviews.

Or delete it. It appears to be one of a series of sales pitches disguised as reviews.
I'm not sales pitching anything. I bought the light and reviewed it honestly along with all other lights I posted. I don't have an stock of the lights sitting around to sell. If there is enough interest I can buy some at a discount and offer them as a discount. If there isn't interest no problem, no harm no foul. Just pointing out options that I know about and have personally.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom