GPS Tracking your dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This may finally be a reason for me to get a smart phone, albeit not a good one, just another toy really.

Ratio is now making a GPS enabled computer Ratio Dive Computers - Choose a model
I replaced my Shearwater with a Ratio this year. This was one of the selling points, although really for me it's more of a "nice to have curiosity" than an important feature. Maybe it will become more valuable to me as I get used to it.

Of course it only tracks location while powered up and on the surface. You'd still need a solution akin to the one @CT-Rich described in the first post for proper tracking.

This could be an interesting hackerspace project. GPS receiver on the float, copper wires instead of polypropeline rope for towing the float, then a retransmitted at depth. Alternatively, you could use the phone and the copper line could be attached to a switch that the diver could use to mark locations.

I replaced my Shearwater with a Ratio this year. This was one of the selling points, although really for me it's more of a "nice to have curiosity" than an important feature. Maybe it will become more valuable to me as I get used to it.

Of course it only tracks location while powered up and on the surface. You'd still need a solution akin to the one @CT-Rich described in the first post for proper tracking.

This could be an interesting hackerspace project. GPS receiver on the float, copper wires instead of polypropeline rope for towing the float, then a retransmitted at depth. Alternatively, you could use the phone and the copper line could be attached to a switch that the diver could use to mark locations.

Exactly, to me "nice to have curiosity" = toy (short form)

Nice idea but, aren't you concerned about boaters grabbing the "line" for scrap copper?! :)

Here are my three dives from the weekend. First one was around the point. You can see where I mistook the cut through. Second dive was to look for an Apple Watch some girl lost jumping off the rocks. You can see I was pretty tight in on the area, but didn’t find it in the twenty minutes I was looking.

Last dive was a night dive that was pretty good ctenophores, lobsters, box fish, squid and a couple of pretty mellow skates.

Attachments

• F2F1D721-880E-4F85-A2FB-F402D81245D0.jpeg
    F2F1D721-880E-4F85-A2FB-F402D81245D0.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 22A058CC-1D26-479E-8623-E78FCB741377.jpeg
    22A058CC-1D26-479E-8623-E78FCB741377.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 92
Nice idea but, aren't you concerned about boaters grabbing the "line" for scrap copper?! :)

:zap1: Whadya know, there is a lightning strike gif when you need one.

With a BT-enabled DC syncing the clock with the GPS device before splashing should be easy. Emphasis on should: I expect none of them has the option to just read the current clock value over BT because why would anyone ever want to do that, right?

Exactly, to me "nice to have curiosity" = toy (short form)

Not really. They won't know it's copper until after they've grabbed it. If it's someone who would grab a dive flag then it's going to happen regardless of what the line is constructed from.

Toy.. that's fair. Personally I consider all my scuba gear to be toys. I don't dive professionally.

Use fiber optic cable instead and shine the flashlight at it to mark the spot (make sure your spool gives it a proper bend radius). Hooking a light sensor to a raspberry pi hiding inside the float is left as an exercise to the reader.

Use fiber optic cable instead and shine the flashlight at it to mark the spot (make sure your spool gives it a proper bend radius). Hooking a light sensor to a raspberry pi hiding inside the float is left as an exercise to the reader.
Reasonably priced, too. 100 meters of fiber, two transmitters and two detectors would be about what I paid for the copper wire I was thinking of using. It would probably have to be bundled with some regular cave line to give it strength.

Holy crap! Just pull the line taught and swim ten feet out and back and continue your dive make a note on a slate about whatever depth or other comment you want.

You are trying to come up with a $20 solution to $0.10 problem. See that little jog out right to the left of the cut through?

Holy crap! Just pull the line taught and swim ten feet out and back

:rofl3: Are you serious? The gadgets are the point. Why the hi-tek gps and all that then? Just draw your course on a wet slate and then hand-fit it to the map afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom