YYZ - RTB - does luggage go straight through?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rules may be more complex/simple than this?
i don't think so.......unless you mean that someone may have booked 2 separate legs with separate airlines in separate bookings...in which case the USA midway wouldn't arguably be 'transit' it would be 'destination' and you would have to pick up luggage and book into the next flight.to the next 'destination'..

But if you have booked from A-B VIA USA airport with one booking, you will not have to collect your luggage in the USA airport if you are in transit from YYZ (toronto)

i don't think so.......unless you mean that someone may have booked 2 separate legs with separate airlines in separate bookings...in which case the USA midway wouldn't arguably be 'transit' it would be 'destination' and you would have to pick up luggage and book into the next flight.to the next 'destination'..

But if you have booked from A-B VIA USA airport with one booking, you will not have to collect your luggage in the USA airport if you are in transit from YYZ (toronto)
I do not know the rules. I am just reporting what I was told, since we always ask when we check our bags.

Your prior post (that I quoted) indicated that bags must be collected in the US on the way home. We have never done that when traveling via IAH. Our bags show up in YYZ.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a (somewhat) related question.

I am flying out of YYZ to LAS soon and will be connecting through LAX. After I go through US Customs and Immigration and security in Toronto, if I pick up something at the Duty Free will I be able to keep it with me at my connection in LA? Part of me would think that as long as I don't leave the secure area in LAX I should be OK. Part of me says no, you can't take it on the connecting flight.

Has anyone had any actual experience with this?

(Of course the easy answer is to simply wait till I get to my destination.)

indeed....we now have to drag our kids and a shocking amount of luggage to a hotel in miami for the evening, pay for 2 rooms and then get up at the crack of dawn and schlep everything back to the airport to catch a flight back to toronto.

The thing that annoyed me the most is that i asked them if we could spend 72 hours in miami...they are inconveniencing us, so would they be open to moving us to a flight back to Toronto from miami 2 days later so at least we could get some value out of the hotel we are paying for in miami...American response "absolutely no way, you must take the next flight to Toronto or we will bill you $500 a ticket for you to fly back 72 hours later"

Maddening.......especially because they can't move the flight to an early slot departing from bonaire so that everyone can catch the original connecting flight to Toronto...apparently...even though the 6 flights before the american one are all flying to curacao....

The whole thing it just a pain in the butt.

I'll just add that what is 'allowed' in a rescheduling situation tends to be very dependent on who you're talking to. Sometimes it's worth a second call and it often helps to have exactly the flights you want in hand. I frequently book very early and grab the 'too good to be true' fares with US carriers - these are the most likely to get shuffled around as they finalize schedules. I've almost always been able to improve my situation after a schedule change with a call or two to their booking lines. Usually I'm going the other way though - trying to shorten up long/overnight layovers. I've found United to be slightly less painful to deal with than American and I'm now avoiding Delta at all costs.

I have flown YYZ to RTB more than a dozen times on United and each time my luggage was checked all the way to final destination both ways.

Same. Returning, it's a different story. You need to claim your stuff at your first US destination and recheck it through security.

At the risk of stating the obvious, why don't you call the airline?

Back
Top Bottom