What reg is this? Help with leak.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a chance to do some more testing, and while I still don't see what the fault is, I think I've narrowed it specifically to the turret seal itself. I took some pictures comparing this clone to the Apeks DST (DST is on right, or top, in all), though of themselves I don't know they show much. I took a number of measurements of the body, turret, and bolt assemblies - lengths, ODs, step distances - and while there are only a couple of differences that exceed a couple thousandth's, they make me think this is a copy, and not an actual rebranded Apeks.

Here are the dimensional differences I could find:
  • the boss on the body that the 024 o-ring fits over is about .010 larger OD on the copy than the Apeks
  • the copy HP seat (white) is quite a bit longer, though there's no knowing (at least by me) that either seat is the proper part
  • the head flange of the turret bolt is significantly thicker on the copy (as is the plastic thrust washer)
  • I'm going from week old memory (risky at my age), but I didn't measure any differences in the turrets themselves, other than the inletting for the plastic ring on the copy
Perhaps the most intriguing observations are these:
  • you can swap the entire copy version of the turret bolt and HP seat into the Apeks, and it seals fine, though IP is about 5psi higher.
  • if you try the converse, the Apeks turret bolt hits a hard stop the moment the threads engage. I've looked and measured, and I don't see the cause of this
  • swapping the Apeks turret onto the copy doesn't fix the leak, and for the life of me I think I swapped the copy turret onto the Apeks, but I don't recall now... damn!
  • swapping thrust washers doesn't fix the leak
  • with tank pressure of ~100 psi in a nearly empty tank (based on IP reading), the copy still leaks at the turret seam
I take this last observation to truly eliminate anything going on with the HP seating as cause of the turret leak.

Again, I can't spot any issues with the condition of the o-ring seating surfaces on the copy body or turret, and I've tried more than one fresh 024 o-ring (lightly lubricated). I'll take a second look at dimensions there to see if it looks like a proper gland is being created.

Does anyone think gooping up the gland with grease might help? Haven't tried that yet... I can also see if I can find some slightly oversized cross-section metric o-ring to try. Otherwise, I think I'll be sending this back to the seller. The 2nd stage it came with seems like a decent working adjustable model, though I can't match it to any Apeks models with available information. The adjusting feature works by pushing a spring-loaded piston against the screw-end of an otherwise standard threaded poppet arrangement. I recall seeing a TUSA model that used this approach.

P8060151.JPG P8060148.JPG P8060147.JPG P8060146.JPG P8060143.JPG P8060142.JPG

OK, well it turned out to be major operator error. The yoke bolt doesn't quite capture the 011 o-ring that creates the HP seal with the body, and it was damaged during initial installation. Absent that, the reg appears to seal as intended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom