Need new place to stay in Coz- input wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back Sunday from a long weekend trip and stayed at El Cid la Ceiba, which is right next to the cruise terminals and have no complaints. It's not a huge resort, but has really nice rooms, great food, good AI options, a pool overlooking the water, decent diving entry right in front of the hotel, an on-site dive op (although we used Dimi Scuba Tours which I love) and really nice views. The cab ride to downtown was less than 10 minutes so not terribly far from anything. I have no complaints and will absolutely stay there again.

Also...the boat ride from the dock to Paradise Reef was about 5-10 minutes.

Cozumel Mexico Hotel | El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel

Is there anything “Upscale” in Cozumel? I don’t think so.

However, I will say Palmar Condos (not beachfront) and Residencias Reef Beach Front) are both wonderful. I think Palmar is more upscale, and you would not need a car rental. Residencias, you would need a car.

El Cantil I have looked at but not yet stayed at is beautiful and appears more upscale than both Palmar and RR. And you could walk to town. Cattle car ops might pick you up there, my DM/Op would probably tell me to meet him at Fonateur.

Best bang for your buck? I still love Casa del Mar and the bar/restaurant there – they treat me like family.By far the best HH and margarita on the island - say hi to Santos for me! :D

MC

PS – El cid – HATE the tiny elevators

Upscale? Isn't there a W Hotel near the north end of the island? You would need a car, as cabs are of sketchy availability north of downtown. Definitely no dive op pickup there.

Edit: Not a W, but it is a Westin.

Cozumel Palace is the nicest on the island. The best way to buy is on Ebay. These are timeshares and many offer reduced rates other than the posted rate. Prices are for 2.

We've stayed at both El Cantil and Residencias Reefs. We liked both for different reasons.

El Cantil - We didn't rent a car but could walk to town. They have parking if you do have a car. Nice pool. Right on the water. Condo's were very comfortable although a bit pricey.

Residencias Reef - The complex is on the water and many condos are as well. Two pools. Not crowded. We met our dive op at the Secrets pier next door. The down side for us was the distance from town. We prefer to be within walking distance.

I would recommend either complex. We've stayed at Secrets but I'm not a big fan of the AI's.

So ok maybe it's not the Four Seasons but the Presidente is awfully nice, with a very cool 1970s James Bond movie kind of vibe. The ocean front rooms on the southern wing are really sweet. Two nice outdoor restaurants, 2 indoor ones; onsite dive operation (I've never used), but they allow pickup at the pier. Not cheap, but deals (especially on pool rooms) can be found online.

And you could walk to town. Cattle car ops might pick you up there, my DM/Op would probably tell me to meet him at Fonateur.
Walk to town? It's IN TOWN! Across the street from the Chedraui supermarket and movie theatre.

Actually, not many cattle car ops pick up in town. I dive with Living Underwater (about as far from cattle car as you can get) and I know they pick up at El Cantil/Cozumel Palace.

El Cantil, checks all your boxes and is close to town, amazing views, pool and on water with a dock.

Blue XT Sea will pick you up there and drop you off.

Back
Top Bottom