Need new place to stay in Coz- input wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lasnyder

Registered
Reaction score
My Wife and I have been traveling to Cozumel for 20 years and have stayed at the same place all that time. It has become a home away from home the staff and DM's are like family. Sadly as we are getting older -55, the inexpensive nature of the resort and it's age has lost glamour. Don't want to say where it is other than south of downtown. So, we are looking for another place to stay and dive. In a pinch we could taxi to the dive op at the past resort. So before you chime in know that:
We live in Florida and large Sandals types of resorts dont appeal to us
We like small experienced dive ops, no cattle boats.
All inclusive is not necessary but we could try it.
On the water is a must , as is a pool and clean upscale amenities.
A hotel or condo would be fine, even a home as we often come with friends.
We are very experienced divers, 500+ both of us.
Our next trip will be the week after Christmas
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
FL. DIver

The Occidental May remind you of a Sandals, but I’ve not stayed at one...the Occidental has gorgeous grounds, nice workers, two pools, one on the beach and a lovely beach to hang on. The AI is pretty good and includes all alcohol. Diving with on site will run about $40 a tank and Nitrox is free! Nice rooms, plenty of AC and the beds are comfy. The best part is the week prior to Xmas it runs $1200 for 8 nights for the wife and I....cheap enough to cab into town to enjoy local dining if wanted...

There are plenty of others to consider as well.

We highly recommend Palmar condos. Wonderful amenities and you will most likely have the pool all to yourselves after diving. We lived there for three months at a time during the winters of 2013 and 2014 plus a month each summer in 2015 and 2016.

Your timing will limit your choices but there are so many waterfront condos around, I just hate the resorts anymore....

Keeping your choice downtown to south of town will help with whomever you dive with as most places can be picked up from - exception is Villa Aldora, north of town but they pick up there.

We highly recommend Palmar condos. Wonderful amenities and you will most likely have the pool all to yourselves after diving. We lived there for three months at a time during the winters of 2013 and 2014 plus a month each summer in 2015 and 2016.

I liked the Palmar condos. Extremely spacious. The foyer was as large as our whole room at Casa Mexicana. Let me know if you need a contact. It is fairly south of town (about a ten minute walk), and it's not on the beach. The pool makes up for it, though.

I also really like El Cantil, but don't rent anything on the top floor. This might be just what you're looking for, short of an all inclusive. Close to downtown, on the water (not much of a beach), spacious (but not as much as Palmar). Tough to find rentals on VRBO, but they are there.

I always enjoy staying at Residencias Reef. No crowding or bickering over beach or pool chaise lounges. Beautiful pools and landscaping. The only issue is being a good 15-20 minutes from town. The distance is worth it to me though; proximity to reefs mean boat rides of only 10 minutes.

I liked the Palmar condos. Extremely spacious. The foyer was as large as our whole room at Casa Mexicana. Let me know if you need a contact. It is fairly south of town (about a ten minute walk), and it's not on the beach. The pool makes up for it, though.
I do like the location of Palmar Condos. I have thought about staying there when diving with family who are non divers and want to be closer to town. Where do you go for boat pick up?

I do like the location of Palmar Condos. I have thought about staying there when diving with family who are non divers and want to be closer to town. Where do you go for boat pick up?

3P would pick me up on the street, out in front of the condo. I just had to sit there and wait for about 20 minuted, because I never knew the exact time they would be driving by.

Presidente or Cozumel Palace for a nice hotel. Any dive op that picks up in town will pick you up at the Palace and anyone can pick you up at the Palace (although there is a dive op on site). El Cantil if you want to rent a beautifully furnished, spacious condo next door to the Palace (and anyone who picks up in town will pick you up there also). I have never heard anyone say anything negative about any of these facilities.

Back
Top Bottom