Diver missing for 7 years recovered on Wilhelm Gustloff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're making a lot of assumptions about what I know of grief, and about how every person would react in a given situation. Perhaps I'm also assuming too much in hoping his family's reaction toward his friends would be more generous than yours.

If my wife died on a wreck and her dive partners stated to authorities they were diving a different wreck and I find out seven years later Id be at the least almost homicidally pissed. DONT lie to me or the police about where my wife disappeared. Hopefully they end up in jail.

Maybe... 7 years is a long time to be sloshing back and forth in the current and surge. I’m surprised he only moved 7 miles.

What I would not expect is the body to be a very short distance from where last seen.

Doesnt the Gustloff lie in International waters? If so, then Poland has no jurisdiction over the site.

Yes, entangled bodies in wrecks have a tendency to float away.

Are you sure, less than 2 years ago a body was found still wrapped in his parachute next to his B24 between Rukavac and Otoc Veli, and you dive there several times a month.

Doesnt the Gustloff lie in International waters? If so, then Poland has no jurisdiction over the site.
This is incorrect
Warships are owned by the country of origin in perpetuity even in international waters.

Which is what makes the destruction of the Repulse and other wrecks in the south china sea illegal as well as reprehensible.

Perhaps "typically" but not always
I saw human remains on a wreck a few weeks ago. The ship went down in 1927

This is incorrect
Warships are owned by the country of origin in perpetuity even in international waters.

Which is what makes the destruction of the Repulse and other wrecks in the south china sea illegal as well as reprehensible.
The Gustloff was a passenger ship evacuating several thousand german civilians from East Prussia in order to protect them from the advancing Soviet armies. It is the sinking with the largest loss of life, current estimates are that more than 9000 people died 30 Jan 1945 on board.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom