Cutting Wood Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amanphoto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i was asked if I could cut a piling off underwater. It is one piling and about 5” in diameter. Not big enough job to rent a saw.

My question is, can you use a handsaw to cut wood underwater? What kind of saw?

A saw known as a Silky handsaw . It's Japanese and a pull-saw. Abt 80 bucks. Do it in abt 30 seconds. K

The only reason I could think off that would mean a normal hardpoint handsaw wouldn't work is that the wood will be saturated (at least on the outside). That might mean that the swarf might not clear meaning more jams (thinking about cutting wet timber above surface).

If that is the case a bowsaw might be a better option - link

A Silky will cut this like butter. Be very carefull though, they are razor sharp.

Any wide-kerf landscaping bow saw that cuts on both strokes works fine for something like this.
upload_2019-8-13_7-22-3.png

Any wide-kerf landscaping bow saw that cuts on both strokes works fine for something like this.
Yep, and if you only have to make a couple of cuts, buy just the blade(s.) Then wrap duct tape around one end to make a handhold. It won't be as easy as the bow saw, but it'll get the job done.

For the cost of a cheap bowsaw (less than $15) I would just buy the full saw with the knowledge that it will most likely be binned when used. It will be a lot easier to handle than a blade wrapped in tape. It might be possible to rinse and dry it but I would treat that as a bonus

I have used survival wire saws with success in the past. Wrap it around, brace yourself with a foot on the bottom of the piling, and youll get material removal with each back and forth stroke.

It might be possible to rinse and dry it but I would treat that as a bonus

I've had one for decades, used it a lot in the rain, holds up good with minimal attention. The blade will rust some, but cut something and it comes off, all the blades have died from use. I haven't used it in salt water so...

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom