Trying to compensate for feet down trim when wearing no exposure protection and little weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Body positioning, not trinket adjusting.

You dive the gear, it doesn’t dive you.
You’re right but I’m fairness, weight not balanced properly will mess up you’re trim whether you’re trying to actively trim or not.

You’re right but I’m fairness, weight not balanced properly will mess up you’re trim whether you’re trying to actively trim or not.
Ya, but people are forever trying to move 1lb here and 1lb there.

If its perfect at 3000psi, its not going to be perfect at 500psi. And vice versa.

Its never going to be perfect.

Which is why I always come back to "dive the gear". Your body posture matters a lot more than trying to nerd out over a 1lb weight.

Yes the tank is buoyant eventually but the valve and first stage regulator are negative to it helps to move them up but a 2 lb ankle weight around the neck of the tank does the trick for me.

If its perfect at 3000psi, its not going to be perfect at 500psi. And vice versa.

Which is why I always come back to "dive the gear". Your body posture matters a lot more than trying to nerd out over a 1lb weight.
But the issue is the new diver who is 8 lb. out of trim, yet hears from the DIR diver to hold themselves right and dive the gear. Not let the gear dive them. As their first shot at getting in trim. The chance of them succeeding is low.

Even if they succeed, they spend their dive fighting those 8 pounds. Which is no fun. So they say scr*w this trim sh*t and quit or kick up the bottom.

Cool, I completely agree.

In my experience I’ve found that the guys who are nerding out over one pound here and one pound there generally talk the talk on the boat but don’t walk the walk when underwater. They’re talking about it because they like to overthink not because they want to be better divers.

But the issue is the new diver who is 8 lb. out of trim, yet hears from the DIR diver to hold themselves right and dive the gear. Not let the gear dive them. As their first shot at getting in trim. The chance of them succeeding is low.

Even if they succeed, they spend their dive fighting those 8 pounds. Which is no fun. So they say scr*w this trim sh*t and quit or kick up the bottom.
Could be, but that’s not what this thread is about. Go re read the first post. Then go read all the replies.

But the issue is the new diver who is 8 lb. out of trim, yet hears from the DIR diver to hold themselves right and dive the gear. Not let the gear dive them...

In this case, the OP made it clear that his weighting was correct, and that he was fighting a 1 lb differential between head to feet which took about a minute for him to rotate out of balance. That is something that can easily be corrected through body position, but moving weights slightly is to me, the first solution also.

In general threads about trim and buoyancy, for sure, there is a strong emphasis on correct weighting first. Certainly by this DIR diver.

In my experience I’ve found that the guys who are nerding out over one pound here and one pound there generally talk the talk on the boat but don’t walk the walk when underwater. They’re talking about it because they like to overthink not because they want to be better divers.

LOL...this is a perfect instance of how "personal experience" can lead us all astray when dealing with individuals. I happen to know the op is a good diver. He found a nuance in his diving and enjoys "discussing" :wink: things on SB. He was also probably a bit bored with all the benign, beautiful, warm water, diving he was currently doing and would rather post on SB than go sit in the pool. I've heard a rumor he gets like that. :) It's not ALL about thumping your chest and "walking the walk." It's supposed to be fun...ooooh an SB object lesson...:bounce::bounce::bounce::)

Could be, but that’s not what this thread is about. Go re read the first post. Then go read all the replies.
In this case, the OP made it clear that his weighting was correct, and that he was fighting a 1 lb differential between head to feet which took about a minute for him to rotate out of balance. That is something that can easily be corrected through body position, but moving weights slightly is to me, the first solution also.

In general threads about trim and buoyancy,, for sure, there is a strong emphasis on correct weighting first. Certainly by this DIR diver.

I'd lost track of which 'how to fix trim' thread I was replying in. Yes, this OP is not 8 off, and seems dialed on total weight. Absolutely, in the general case total weight should be addressed first/early. Not to say that you can't be adjusting the total and the distribution toward a good working level at the same time.

We often express concern that advice intended for a narrow context, deco/CCR/CESA/pony/etc or in this thread tweaking placement of 1-2 lb., may be miss-interpreted by new divers to a bigger context, like in other threads where OPs struggle with trim with weighing that appears to be way off. That possible miss-service to new divers was my concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom