Do You Like Eagle Rays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love eagle rays, and I'm lucky because I've got a local dive site that has more than I've ever seen anywhere. A few weeks ago, me and a buddy were diving out of Clearwater, FL on a local artificial reef and saw over 2 dozen eagle rays, and they swam around us for more than 45 minutes. It was so ridiculous that we just looked at each other halfway through the dive and just laughed and shrugged our shoulders.

It got a little ridiculous when they decided to do flybys a foot or two beneath us at 15" during our safety stop. LOL

I do like Eaglerays. Never seen so close...
h-1251.jpg

it is only one my photo of it, made due OWD-AOWD course :), many years ago. Never taken so good photo of them later...

My first encounter was in less than 5' of water near Puerto adventuras, was snorkeling and one swooped over me as I was on bottom checking out a starfish. My son grabbed my fin and I looked up as it soared over me. Was really cool

@bmorescuba AWESOME video! Have snorkeled Two-Step multiple times, one of my favorite places in the world, and have seen this or a similar Eagle there while snorkeling, but have never ever had one come so close and be so friendly! Well done. Love love love the Big Island.

Nice video @bmorescuba. It’s cool both of you had cameras to capture the moment. You owe your wife a bit of gratitude...

We have been very fortunate to have encountered a lot of eagle rays over the years, but they are still one of my favorite sightings. Last year I stumbled upon three juveniles during a solo dive in Bonaire. They allowed me to swim beside them for an unforgettable ten minutes.

Back
Top Bottom