Finger spool’s double ended clip detaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loop of bungee on the spool, keep the line on and if the D/E does come undone, prevents spool running away.

This is an old pic.

I have a different fixing method to keep spool and dsmb together while still allowing me to detach the spool easily if I need to (swap reels or dsmbs) but the bungee still applies

On a dive my reel/spool stay sattached so I can quickly deploy if/when we get swept off a site YMMV

Just by pulling reel/spool away from dsmb release bungee loop from spool

View attachment 533652

Very interesting. Indeed, I would prefer having my DSMB attached at all times to the line for faster deployment. Thanks for posting!

The video I posted is attached at all times. You just unclip and send it up. Check it out. :)

I'm confused, I've looked at that video before and since he's putting the loop of the spool through one of the holes, I don't see how that would work with the DSMB pre-attached. And in the video he doesn't have a DSMB attached. What am I missing here?

I'm confused, I've looked at that video before and since he's putting the loop of the spool through one of the holes, I don't see how that would work with the DSMB pre-attached. And in the video he doesn't have a DSMB attached. What am I missing here?

I have to run to farmer’s market :D but when I am back I will dig out my DSMB and show you either through pics and/or a video. :)

Here are some photos, @laikabear

When you unclip the bolt snap, the line runs back through the holes of the spool back to where the main line is. The DSMB is able to freely deploy and unwind at that point. When you want to lock the line to the spool at a particular point, you just bolt snap the line to one of the holes. It is set up exactly as described in the video I shared with the DSMB attached. It does not come loose during diving, giant strides, backrolls, etc. :) I hope it helps!

Attachments

• 35304FB2-2C21-4731-8002-5EDED90004CC.jpeg
    35304FB2-2C21-4731-8002-5EDED90004CC.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 108
  • AEC72C13-FDCC-4FAD-8ED5-209077B2C98F.jpeg
    AEC72C13-FDCC-4FAD-8ED5-209077B2C98F.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 69B69051-0AD8-44AA-8DCC-7E166DE18BB6.jpeg
    69B69051-0AD8-44AA-8DCC-7E166DE18BB6.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 134
To use the Englishman's technique from Post #4 with a preattached DSMB, use what @outofofficebrb showed you, just above:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/aec72c13-fdcc-4fad-8ed5-209077b2c98f-jpeg.533978/

Just clipped thru a hole in the spool, if you play with your bolt snap, you'll quickly see that by twisting it in a not very unusual way, the little button for your thumb that actuates the bolt slides against the spool, pulls the bolt back and boom! The bolt snap has detached! See @The Chairman's video in Post #9. A VERY common problem, just as you noted.

That's why the DSMB+spool really belongs in a pocket. But if you have to carry it loose, then use the picture above. It's done by threading a loop of line thru a hole, clipping the bolt snap to the loop, then wrapping the loose line around the shaft of the bolt snap before clipping the bolt snap back to the line, not to a hole in the spool. The wrap keeps the thumb latch from being engaged except by your firm pressure. It's not wrapped so tightly that you can't get it apart, but prevents the inadvertent opening of the bolt when the DSMB flops around on your D-ring, or wherever it's attached.
IMPORTANT: Since you're pulling a loop from the end of the line where you've already created a loop to attach the DSMB, the "loop" you pull thru the side hole has TWO strands (both of the legs of the loop that you created before, from the Englishman's video in Post #4). Thus, when you wrap the loop around the bolt snap and finally clip the loop off with the bolt snap, you are capturing FOUR strands of line: https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/69b69051-0ad8-44aa-8dcc-7e166de18bb6-jpeg.533979/
To answer @laikabear 's question, when you unclip the bolt snap from the line, the loop you pulled thru the hole of the spool slips back in, and the already-attached DSMB is ready to spool out. When the DSMB is at the surface, tension it up, and clip the bolt snap to the line and thru a hole of the spool.

The only hard part is learning how much of a loop to make. I use about 8" of the final loop you created, with both legs threaded thru the nearest spool hole to create a four-strand loop with two 4" two-strand legs. That seems to be enough to wrap around the neck of the bolt snap without having all the pieces flopping around on extra line, and pulls my DSMB up tight against the spool for carrying.

What @outofofficebrb showed you, just above:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/attachments/aec72c13-fdcc-4fad-8ed5-209077b2c98f-jpeg.533978/

Just clipped thru a hole in the spool, if you play with your bolt snap, you'll quickly see that by twisting it in a not very unusual way, the little button for your thumb that actuates the bolt slides against the spool, pulls the bolt back and boom! The bolt snap has detached! A VERY common problem, just as you noted.
That's why the DSMB+spool really belongs in a pocket. But if you have to carry it loose, then use the picture above. It's done by threading a loop of line thru a hole, clipping the bolt snap to the line, then wrapping the loose line around the shaft of the bolt snap before clipping the bolt snap to the line, not the spool. The wrap keeps the thumb latch from being engaged except by your firm pressure. It's not wrapped so tightly that you can't get it apart, but prevents the inadvertent opening of the bolt when the DSMB flops around on your D-ring, or wherever it's attached.

You described it way better than I would have if I tried. :) thank you! I keep mine hanging on my right hip d-ring.

Going to be checking this thread out because I think a DSMB + spool is probably going to be the next thing I purchase.

Back
Top Bottom