Is it possible to buy just an Atomic Aquatics T3 first stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt CHEG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am actually a really big Scubapro regulator fan. I really like their performance and design. Having said that I am probably going to be getting into public safety diving within the next year or two. I will probably stick with a Mk17 diaphragm first stage for ice diving or cruddy water diving, but the thought has occurred to me that an Atomic Aquatics first stage might combine the best of both worlds. It’s my understanding that their piston design is highly influenced by, if not outright inspired from the Scubapro piston design, which is a very good thing in my mind. The addition of being environmentally sealed is also extremely appealing to me. From those of you that have used both, is it likely that I will like an Atomic Aquatics piston regulator if I am a Scubapro fan? Does a sealed, high performance piston offer enough benefit that I would likely prefer a sealed piston over a dedicated Scubapro Mk17?

In the second place, if I do endeavor into the public safety diving realm, and it looks like it’s just a matter of time before my employer sends me to some of these courses, I would probably be diving with a full face mask. I don’t know that I would want to spend the money for a T3 first and second stage if I was going to be using it with a OTS full face mask with its own regulator, so is it possible to buy just the first stage? I’ve looked online and haven’t seen any dive shops offering just the first stage so I’m thinking know but some of you folks might know better. The T3 is definitely speedy, but for a dedicated public safety reg that would be used for gathering evidence underwater, possibly some ice diving, etc. I think that the ultimate corrosion resistance of Titanium, combined with a completely sealed first stage might be a strong contender. Anyone have any idea if I could buy just a T3 first stage, or any other input to add? Thanks

Just buy the T3, or T2x, or T1x. They are all the same, all infinitely rebuildable/upgradable, and all designed by the same guy that designed the ScubaPro Mk-15 and Mk-20. Not all parts of the scubapro fit the Atomic exactly, if you get my meaning. Buy the whole first and second stage. Buy a good used one, there are many reputable resellers of used ones right here on SB. I recently sold 6 sets, some upgraded to T2, some to T2x for half of retail. I’ve seen some that weren’t rebuilt for less than that. Buy the whole reg set, because when you aren’t in your OTS Guardian, you might want to go on vacation or spearfishing or meg tooth diving, and as you are sure to find out, that FFM will use more air than you do.

So just get the whole enchilada.

The ST-1 first is corrosion proof, stronger, cheaper and sealed. It's just a bit heavier. You can save hundreds and get all the benefits if you are willing to go Stainless Steel.

Lots of hundreds - the ST1 1st is $519
Atomic ST1 First Stage Regulator

Or get the same reg in Monel (inert to most gases) for S399 The 2nd stage is slightly different on it (no swivel hose) but you don't care.
Atomic M1 Regulator 1st Stage Only, Yoke, Sealed

all the Atomic regs breathe the same, the difference is the material used for the reg body and things like the swivel hose on the 2nd.

I own a T2. If I ever need another one, I'm going to buy a B2 - same performance at 1/2 the price. I owned a B1 oreviously (sold it to my buddy) but I don't see a noticeable difference in performance - just the T2 is lighter in your hand.

You can also buy a complete ST1 for $999
Atomic ST1

If you have a local Atomic dealer - prices are the same. Probably a special order from either place - my 2 local Atomic dealers only stock complete reg sets.

It’s my understanding that their piston design is highly influenced by, if not outright inspired from the Scubapro piston design,
Two engineers from ScubaPro founded Atomic Aquatics.

I've tried high-end regs from every major brand, and own top models from half of them, and nothing breathes like an Atomic. It's not a small difference either. The gap between an Atomic T2 and a perfect Legend Supreme is wider than between the Legend and a beat-up rental Sherwood/Beuchat/etc. The way they breathe is the real reason to get Atomics.

That said, titanium is for those who really don't notice the price. It will last forever, but without regular service, the pressure will creep just like on any other regulator. With frequent use, diligent maintenance, and regular service, a cheaper model will last just as well. Monel and stainless regs are especially attractive, as they have great corrosion resistance for less price than Ti.

The servicing is expensive, as Atomics are less common and require costly Christolube to seal the first stage.

I've tried high-end regs from every major brand, and own top models from half of them, and nothing breathes like an Atomic. It's not a small difference either. The gap between an Atomic T2 and a perfect Legend Supreme is wider than between the Legend and a beat-up rental Sherwood/Beuchat/etc. The way they breathe is the real reason to get Atomics.

That said, titanium is for those who really don't notice the price. It will last forever, but without regular service, the pressure will creep just like on any other regulator. With frequent use, diligent maintenance, and regular service, a cheaper model will last just as well. Monel and stainless regs are especially attractive, as they have great corrosion resistance for less price than Ti.

The servicing is expensive, as Atomics are less common and require costly Christolube to seal the first stage.
I am an Atomic fanboy. I have multiple titanium regulators, service them regularly, and my wife is the repair tech in a dive shop. But I gotta say, you can’t just toss them in a dunk tank and expect excellent service. Brass, stainless, and zirconium plated regulators will corrode to the point of unusability if you don’t care correctly for them. I have a T2 that I won’t sell because it was abused and the piston slams when pressurized, so I may be the only guy on the planet using a $1400 reg to inflate my hand truck tires. It breathes fine, but I just won’t sell anything aside from perfect. Anyway, just because they are Atomic regulators doesn’t mean that they can’t be abused and damaged.

And I’ll bet that for every perfect Atomic my wife gets in the dive shop, she has 3 that were just thrown in the rinse tank. Including those from another shop in town that uses Z1s in rental but don’t service them....

Only the titanium and Monel are relatively safe from abuse.

I am an Atomic fanboy. I have multiple titanium regulators, service them regularly, and my wife is the repair tech in a dive shop. But I gotta say, you can’t just toss them in a dunk tank and expect excellent service. Brass, stainless, and zirconium plated regulators will corrode to the point of unusability if you don’t care correctly for them. I have a T2 that I won’t sell because it was abused and the piston slams when pressurized, so I may be the only guy on the planet using a $1400 reg to inflate my hand truck tires. It breathes fine, but I just won’t sell anything aside from perfect. Anyway, just because they are Atomic regulators doesn’t mean that they can’t be abused and damaged.

And I’ll bet that for every perfect Atomic my wife gets in the dive shop, she has 3 that were just thrown in the rinse tank. Including those from another shop in town that uses Z1s in rental but don’t service them....

Only the titanium and Monel are relatively safe from abuse.

Why don’t you send the bad one to the factory for them to take a crack at?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom