Eon core versus sheerwater perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use the Perdix AI, and I love it. While I understand people thinking it's a bit overrated on SB, I think some people fail to remember that it has also been out now for a couple of years. I moved to the Perdix AI from a Scubapro Galileo Luna w/ AI over 2 years ago, and it has been the best money I've spent gearwise. The screen alone was a huge upgrade for my 50+ year old eyes. Couple that with a simpler, superior interface and the non-proprietary algorithm of the Perdix and you've got a winner. That's without even mentioning the fact that I can change the Li batteries myself in about 15 seconds, so no need to send in to Scubapro and wait a few weeks to pay the $50 or whatever ridiculous charge necessary. Customer service is also top notch. Just my .02.

We had a guy miss a dive and had to be given a borrowed computer on the last trip because his computer(brand unknown) thought he blew off a bunch of deco. I wasn't in his group, but since both pangas entered the water together on every dive and exited within an hour, I'm pretty confident it was user error and not a bunch of omitted deco. Why bother with such nonsense if you don't have to, especially if you're looking to spend the kind of money the OP is? A 24 hour lock would allow 12 of the 16 Buhlmann compartments to completely clear even if they were fully saturated to begin with, so I have no idea why Suunto thinks they need to brick your computer for two days for any perceived transgression.

, so I have no idea why Suunto thinks they need to brick your computer for two days for any perceived transgression.

To get a lockout, you need to be above your deco ceiling for more than 3 minutes.

If you're going to make such a transgression, then you either have a real issue and need to be at the surface ASAP in which case a 48 hr rest isn't a bad thing, or the diver is not paying attention and should be anywhere deco in the first place.

I've been in an area of Up and down currents with my Eon very unhappy, with me busting a ceiling, and yet I've never managed to lock it.

In yoru quoted case, it was either a Hardware issue (that's why we take 2 computers on a vacation) or a User error - in which case no sympathy

2) where do you think you'll get to? will the core's 75m max depth work?
The Eon's real max depth is 40 meters.

Sure, it's rated to deeper - but deeper is tec diving. Which means you need a team. Which has to use the same deco algo. And for 95%+ of tec divers out there, that algo will NOT be Suunto's RGBM.

The idea of a mixed algo team, particularly with closed source algos that don't allow for accurate gas planning, makes my hair stand on end. Not as much as the knowledge that there are people who regularly go 60m+ on AL80 air, but enough to remember I still have that hair thing.

The Eon's real max depth is 40 meters.

Sure, it's rated to deeper - but deeper is tec diving. Which means you need a team. Which has to use the same deco algo. And for 95%+ of tec divers out there, that algo will NOT be Suunto's RGBM.
That’s just because having something pretty confuses them.

Do you really want to buy a computer with a proprietary algorithm which will lock you out for 48 hours if it gets in a snit, even if you haven't actually omitted a bunch of required deco?

Fused and RGBM2 behave very differently than RGBM. They're very close to 16C.

I think* Fused and RGBM2 potentially are better than 16C in the way they handle ('short'/1hr) SIs on repetitive dives.

Fused and RGBM2 behave very differently than RGBM. They're very close to 16C.

I think* Fused and RGBM2 potentially are better than 16C in the way they handle ('short'/1hr) SIs on repetitive dives.
"Better" is in the eye of the beholder

Reactions: Jay
The idea of a mixed algo team, particularly with closed source algos that don't allow for accurate gas planning, makes my hair stand on end. Not as much as the knowledge that there are people who regularly go 60m+ on AL80 air, but enough to remember I still have that hair thing.
With the Suunto you can plan with Suunto supplied software. With ‘ZHL16C’ computers you plan with some bit of software which might be the same or not depending on choices made by the implementation.

In both cases the chances are the dive will use less gas and have less deco than planned because dives are not usually completely square.

Back
Top Bottom