Eon core versus sheerwater perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi :)

Thank you for the info and views :)
I think i might go for the Perdix Ai as it looks like it might be the better option in the long run.

There is a dive show starting in the UK soon so i might wait till then ( might get a bargain on the day ) :)

@Firebar have you been to Stoney Cove ? as that will probably be where i will be diving initially and the visibility varies quite a lot.

Shearwater computers rarely have any sort of discount. Pricing is set by the manufacturer. So don’t think a dive show will get you a discount.

@mudgrouper

I have, and dive with both Perdix AI (200 dives) and Eon Steel (800 dives)

They are both equally competent computers there differences are minor and come down to personal preference a lot.

If battery worryies you, mine are over 5 years old and I'm only seeing 3 hrs quoted reduction in battery life from new so far

I will say over all the Eon is the better computer. For screens The Eon beast the Perdix into the last century, plus is infinitely customisable to get the data you want on the type of display you like. The Perdix UI is very old fashioned

Th eSuunot Transmitter are a little more powerful so no data drop outs ever, BUT if you want 2 tanks displayed at teh same time then you need to go Perdix

The Eon's Fused RGBM can be less Conservative than Bulhmann ZHL16C set to 45/95 - I know because I've done 200 dives with them both - the differences it must be said are marginal

If the price is not dissimilar then the Eon is the better bet - Personally I feel the Perdix is over hyped especially on SB _ but that's just my opinion but with actual diving experience of multiple computers

Be aware that Scubaboard is a predominately US site, and the price point between Eon and Perdix is much different over there to the point of the Eon not being an economic choice.

Once Suunto release Bulhmann for the Steel (not Core I'm afraid) then my Perdix will be consigned to a spare backup (I can cross platform plan for light Tec (50m max no He) Unless of course Shear water release a Perdix replacement that is remarkably better then I might consider another Shear water But given what I know now -, no. the Eon is a better all round computer

Hi :)

Thank you for the info and views :)
I think i might go for the Perdix Ai as it looks like it might be the better option in the long run.

@Firebar have you been to Stoney Cove ? as that will probably be where i will be diving initially and the visibility varies quite a lot.

I’m sure you’ll be happy either way!

For me the Core is all I think I’ll need, though I’m intrigued by the idea of gradient factors coming to the Steel, at that point the main argument against the Suuntos goes and in the UK their prices are much more attractive. I’d hope if it went to the Steel it’d come to the Core too eventually, but cynicism says it’d be something to differentiate the Steel beyond depth limit.

Ive not done Stoney, I lived in Preston area until a month or two ago, so I did Capenwray, Eccy Delph, Lakes. On none of those have I had any issues with seeing the screen, even the day after the treasure hunt at Capers!

Now I’m back South so the most trouble I had seeing the thing was at a strange viewing angle while holding onto my buddy on a supersonic drift dive.

On the surface in the tropics it can be a bit hard to see without shading, but underwater it’s fine.

I'm a little late to this party, but I had this conversation with my LDS about a month ago. I wasn't expecting to see a perdix in the shop and it was around the same price as the eon core, so I had to ask for an opinion. Honestly, the answer was so underwhelming that I chose what was in stock (eon core). The screen, I believe, is a bit better. I love the interface. It's so easy to use and does everything I personally will ever need from a computer. I'm vaguely interested in tech, but realistically probably will never get to advance to that level. The Eon Core will be more than I need. The shop basically told me that the Perdix simply has a billion other things it can do if you need it to, whereas the Suunto can do everything the vast majority of divers will ever need.

So far I have only used it in pools and the lake. The lake has about 5-10 ft of viz and is just...ugh...but I have never had a problem seeing the screen. I love it and am very happy with my choice. Sometimes I think I should have ordered the perdix just because that's what everyone says to get, but there is not a single thing I don't like about the suunto.

Do you really want to buy a computer with a proprietary algorithm which will lock you out for 48 hours if it gets in a snit, even if you haven't actually omitted a bunch of required deco?

Do you really want to buy a computer with a proprietary algorithm which will lock you out for 48 hours if it gets in a snit, even if you haven't actually omitted a bunch of required deco?

You do talk nonsense. But at least you're consistent about it

Which part is nonsense? The proprietary algorithm or the 48 hour lock-out?

I'm a little late to this party, but I had this conversation with my LDS about a month ago. I wasn't expecting to see a perdix in the shop and it was around the same price as the eon core, so I had to ask for an opinion. Honestly, the answer was so underwhelming that I chose what was in stock (eon core). The screen, I believe, is a bit better. I love the interface. It's so easy to use and does everything I personally will ever need from a computer. I'm vaguely interested in tech, but realistically probably will never get to advance to that level. The Eon Core will be more than I need. The shop basically told me that the Perdix simply has a billion other things it can do if you need it to, whereas the Suunto can do everything the vast majority of divers will ever need.

So far I have only used it in pools and the lake. The lake has about 5-10 ft of viz and is just...ugh...but I have never had a problem seeing the screen. I love it and am very happy with my choice. Sometimes I think I should have ordered the perdix just because that's what everyone says to get, but there is not a single thing I don't like about the suunto.

The Perdix isn't a bad computer, but its not the be all and end all that lots of people on SB seem to claim. There is nothing the Perdix can do that the Eon can't with the exception of displaying 2 gas contents via transmitters at the same time.

I dive both a Perdix, and an Eon (steel) In all but a few minor areas the Eon is way better than the Perdix especially with it's UI and far superior screen

But effectively either computer is good, as they should be at this price point

Which part is nonsense? The proprietary algorithm or the 48 hour lock-out?

Well in nearly 1000 dives, including lots of deco, I've never managed to lock myself out

As for the Algorithm, I can easily plan it alongside Bulhmann ZH 16C and match profiles. And I do regularly
You just have a hatred for Suunto rather than anything properly objective - hence I treat you with the disdain you deserve on the subject

Your Eon Core offers just as many features you will not use as a recreational diver as the Perdix. Your LDS wanted to sell you the Suunto and that's what you decided to buy

These are not realistic worries for a recreational diver who knows how their computer works. The Core, with Fused RGBM, can be made to be quite liberal by adjusting the personal setting to P-2. This is in the same ballpark as DSAT and Buhlmann with a GF high of 95. I have about 1800 dives with a couple of Oceanic computers and have never skipped a decompression stop and been locked out. I've only had my Teric for a few months and am still diving my VT3 with it. They match pretty well with a Teric GF high of 95 and handle light deco similarly.

Many divers do not need a Shearwater or a Suunto Eon to successfully do their diving

Edit: As usual, @Diving Dubai beat me to it, posted while I was slowly typing:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom