Just another Rec SCR....or is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
When my shiny new Hollis Explorer 2 turned into a pumpkin overnight I lost a swag of hard earned money and spat the dummy at both Huish outdoors and RB’s in general. Still won’t knowingly buy any Huish related product!
So when I recently stumbled across something on the soon to be released Mares Horizon SCR my reaction was fairly contemptuous- “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!”.
However, after reading the general description of it I have to admit it is a little intriguing. The points that caught my eye were as follows:

• The rEvo influence is all over it- including the dual sorb canisters that are generally well regarded in the RB community (although in this case made of plastic), they are 1kg sorb capacity each.
• The counter lungs are lateral and appear to have water dump capability.
• It has redundant batteries and control systems.
• The supply gas is slung rather than onboard- which is more versatile and practical I would think.
• It can be used for deco dives (max depth 40 meters) up to 25 minutes deco.
• It’s a hybrid, using a combination of leaky valve with an additional solenoid.
• It can use (now get this!) Nitrox from 30% to 99%, really, 99% nitrox is pure oxygen! And how does the constant O2 injection work with this range? Apparently it is adjustable during the dive so that suggests to me that it is an electronically controlled valve rater than a fixed orifice. In any case, if it works and can use high O2 fills that would make for a very efficient (and low bubble emitting) SCR in my mind.

So it seems it may not be just another explorer and has some limited technical capabilities. In fact I believe that there is no such thing a a true Rec rebreather, all RB’s regardless of relative simplicity of design, set-up, checking and operation are technical in nature.
Link attached:
Mares Horizon SCR

What's the benefit here vs a regular rebreather?

When my shiny new Hollis Explorer 2 turned into a pumpkin overnight I lost a swag of hard earned money and spat the dummy at both Huish outdoors and RB’s in general. Still won’t knowingly buy any Huish related product!
So when I recently stumbled across something on the soon to be released Mares Horizon SCR my reaction was fairly contemptuous- “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!”.
However, after reading the general description of it I have to admit it is a little intriguing. The points that caught my eye were as follows:

• The rEvo influence is all over it- including the dual sorb canisters that are generally well regarded in the RB community (although in this case made of plastic), they are 1kg sorb capacity each.
• The counter lungs are lateral and appear to have water dump capability.
• It has redundant batteries and control systems.
• The supply gas is slung rather than onboard- which is more versatile and practical I would think.
• It can be used for deco dives (max depth 40 meters) up to 25 minutes deco.
• It’s a hybrid, using a combination of leaky valve with an additional solenoid.
• It can use (now get this!) Nitrox from 30% to 99%, really, 99% nitrox is pure oxygen! And how does the constant O2 injection work with this range? Apparently it is adjustable during the dive so that suggests to me that it is an electronically controlled valve rater than a fixed orifice. In any case, if it works and can use high O2 fills that would make for a very efficient (and low bubble emitting) SCR in my mind.

So it seems it may not be just another explorer and has some limited technical capabilities. In fact I believe that there is no such thing a a true Rec rebreather, all RB’s regardless of relative simplicity of design, set-up, checking and operation are technical in nature.
Link attached:
Mares Horizon SCR

RR...

The Horizon was discussed at long length on SB...seems like almost a year ago...since that time anything and everything on the Horizon has gone silent...

Nothing on local dealer/service network...nothing on anyone purchasing/training on a Horizon...not saying it hasn't happened...but if it has...the proud/new owner hasn't posted on SB...also...no one seems to be banging a drum regarding being a local Horizon instructor...

Ocean Edge Outfitters has rEvo locked up tight as far as North American parts sales...a lot of which are restricted...and service...by the time you've had your unit serviced twice at OEO...you will have paid for a new unit...

As far as blaming Huish...you can't fault them for not wanting the burden/liability of someone elses closed circuit technology...this is on Hollis...they could have kept the Explorer...just like they decided to keep the PRISM II...I'm sure they would have been glad to include the PRISM II in the sale to Huish...but like the Explorer Huish didn't want the PRISM II either...and I'm sure for the same reasons...

Nothing wrong with your ''pumpkin''...if it works properly and your comfortable with it...use it...there's lots of cheap parts available on the re-sale sites...and will be for as long as you want to dive...

Contact KISS...speak directly with Mike...they have a conversion kit available for the Explorer that will be a big benefit to you...not 100% sure but I believe the kit converts the Explorer to an MCCR...

Maybe your post will prompt some current info on the Horizon...I somehow doubt it...

The phrase ''dead in the water'' comes to mind...

Best...

Warren...

What's the benefit here vs a regular rebreather?
Not much I agree!
Design philosophy I guess- if it does indeed provide a relatively simplified assembly and operational procedures for suitably diligent divers who want some of the benefits of RB diving (quieter, warm gas, extended dive times) but don't need the depth capabilities.
For me personally that it uses nitrox as opposed toO2 is a disadvantage as I can (with some difficulty) get O2 but there is absolutely no source of nitrox locally. I used to make my own running a nitrox stick through my compressor at home but I was never comfortable doing it and it negates a lot of the perceived value of owning a nitrox SCR (simplicity and safety associated with not requiring 100% O2).

RR...

"As far as blaming Huish...you can't fault them for not wanting the burden/liability of someone elses closed circuit technology...this is on Hollis...they could have kept the Explorer...just like they decided to keep the PRISM II..."

I thought Huish took on the Prism 2, if what you're saying is true then Hollis used Huish as an excuse to dump the Explorer but that seems odd when they had just spent time and money developing the Explorer 2. In any case I got rid of it because the electronics were almost due a service and that was going to be a major PITA.
I am certainly aware of the KISS option because it was my idea! I sent the original concept with a fairly detailed description of how I thought it could be done to Mike and Kim after the Huish debacle and only asked that they keep me in mind when and if it came to fruition. Obviously it was a good idea because they then refused to talk to me and ran with it...LOL!! Anyway good luck to them and if I was going the MCCR route I would want a better scrubber than the Explorer.

It's been my experience that every SCR owner is a very frustrated diver on their way to becoming a much happier CCR owner. Save yourself the time and expense and just get a good well supported CCR up front.

It's been my experience that every SCR owner is a very frustrated diver on their way to becoming a much happier CCR owner. Save yourself the time and expense and just get a good well supported CCR up front.

That may well happen.
It would help if there was someone else on this island that had the slightest inclination to dive other than an AL80 of air with a rental reg.
And Grand Turk is tailor made for tech- very deep wall close to shore, 150 ft viz, warm year round, feck all currents- its great!
But I am completely on my own in any desire to go beyond basic "open water" recreational diving- a like minded buddy would make life a lot more interesting.

All the Explorer owners I know are back to open circuit.
I once did an Explorer try-dive. I'm still trying to forget it.

All the Explorer owners I know are back to open circuit.
I once did an Explorer try-dive. I'm still trying to forget it.

It really wasn't that bad when you learned to let the unit run its own loop volume and also I modified the backplate to raise it higher on my back- made a big difference to the WOB.
But I wouldn't do it again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom