Tipping Guideline For Galapagos Liveaboards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Playing devil’s advocate, when a live aboard in the Caribbean, Red Sea or the Maldives is a 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Galapagos live aboard, mostly due to the licensing in the Galapagos, do you tip 30-35% in these other locals? The staff does the exact same job in all locations, as far as one can see.

My Galapagos live aboard(rip Majestic) was ~$6000 ($600-900, 10-15%) I also was on the Roatan Aggressor and Belize Aggressor this year and the price was ~$2500(without looking up exact)each($250-375,10-15%) I did not see a difference in service on three boats.

So basically, how does one figure the tip when a large portion of the trip price is for government fees and permits?

My own guideline is 10-15 % of the basic package price for the boat itself (I'm not going to tip 10-15% for extra's like airfare, Nitrox, fuel surcharges, non inclusive alcoholic drinks, park fees, dive chamber fees, etc.) Nor do I do extra 'guilt trip' tips to cover tips not made by other divers who are either cheap or come from non-tipping cultures (Europe for example).

I have only been on LOBs that operate in countries that do not have a tipping culture - Maldives, Indonesia, PNG and Australia. At the end of the trip, the Cruise Director will talk about tips and may give guidance. I’ve had cruise directors mention 10%, 5%, €150 (a little under 5%). I’ve also had cruise directors leave tips entirely to the discretion of guests. In general, if the LOB markets towards Americans, the Cruise Director will likely provide guidance towards 10%. LOBs that cater more towards Europeans, Australians and Asians tend to be more relaxed about tipping. The last LOB that I was on (SeaEsta in Australia) did not ask for a tip, nor did it appear to expect a tip.

i've only been to the red sea once but i did tip higher than 10 percent due to the low cost of the liveaboard
I actually think that 10% only gets Americans a good time. In order to give Americans a great time, cruise directors should indicate 15% or 20%. I’m sure that the dive industry will up the ante once they realise that they are leaving money on the table.

Playing devil’s advocate, when a live aboard in the Caribbean, Red Sea or the Maldives is a 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a Galapagos live aboard, mostly due to the licensing in the Galapagos, do you tip 30-35% in these other locals? The staff does the exact same job in all locations, as far as one can see.

My Galapagos live aboard(rip Majestic) was ~$6000 ($600-900, 10-15%) I also was on the Roatan Aggressor and Belize Aggressor this year and the price was ~$2500(without looking up exact)each($250-375,10-15%) I did not see a difference in service on three boats.

So basically, how does one figure the tip when a large portion of the trip price is for government fees and permits?
I don't think a large portion of the trip price is for government fees and permits. I think some boats in the Galapagos are able to price high because the government limits the number of boats that operate there.

There are a few LOBs with single cabins, but most do not. I sometimes pay a single supplement and three of my last six LOBs have been on this basis. Single supplements can add up to 70% on the price of a twin share. I don't see the rationale for a % based tip on top of a single supplement trip price.

I don't think a large portion of the trip price is for government fees and permits. I think some boats in the Galapagos are able to price high because the government limits the number of boats that operate there.

There are a few LOBs with single cabins, but most do not. I sometimes pay a single supplement and three of my last six LOBs have been on this basis. Single supplements can add up to 70% on the price of a twin share. I don't see the rationale for a % based tip on top of a single supplement trip price.
Except that you are eliminating another passenger, at regular price, who might also be paying a tip :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom