Looking for two flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have:

2 x DGX 600 (twist)
2 x Xtar D26 Whale
1 x Xtar D26 1600

Those are the order in which I acquired them and also in order from least favorite (DGX 600) to most favorite (the D26 1600).

The DGX 600 is a really good light. But, the cons to it are that I can't turn it on or off with one hand, and it does not have multiple brightness levels. It's too bright (for me) on a night dive. And I don't have the option of running it a lower brightness level and having it last a LOT longer. Also, it doesn't last as long as I'd like because it's only carrying 1 x 18650.

I like the D26 better for those same reasons. The beam is just as tight and bright (approximately). It's nice to use on night dives because it offers lower brightness settings. It lasts a lot longer than the DGX 600 (and CAN last a LOT longer, if run on Medium or Low). I can turn it on and off with one hand. It's fatter than the DGX 600, but not that much fatter. I use the same Oxycheq Raider light sock to hold either one.

I like the D26 1600 the best simply because it's the same as the D26 Whale only brighter. "1600" lumens versus "1100" or something like that. And with the 26650 battery it will still last over 2 hours on High (or Turbo? I posted a review before, if you want to search for it).

Both the Xtar lights came with sleeve adapters to allow using an 18650 battery.

All these lights are under $100. I think the D26 1600 is $89.95 right now.

I also have an Xtar D36. It has 2 LED emitters. A 4200 lumen that is 120 degree beam. It makes a great video light and, on Low, a great light for night diving. It's a lot easier to spot critters that are moving in your peripheral vision when that peripheral vision is actually illuminated. And it has a 1600 lumen emitter that is something like an 8 degree beam (I can't remember off the top of my head). It's roughly the same length as the D26 but much fatter thanks to its large proprietary battery pack. And you can run both emitters together to get (a claimed) 5800 lumens.

I used the D36 on 4 night dives last week in the Bahamas and I never charged it all week. I was running it on Low because any brighter was so bright that the particulate in the water made it actually harder to see.

I think the D36 is a nice all-in-one light. But, it's something like $360, so probably not what the OP wants right now.

@bamafan @tbone1004 Getting ready to purchase 3 lights for the family, all rec diving, mostly used for looking in holes, maybe a night dive, 1 will get attached to a gopro for video. You say to buy good batteries and chargers, what would you recommend for brands or places to purchase? I know nothing about batteries and chargers.

@Mason Gierke
I own one of these which I highly recommend everyone have. Let's you test your cells to see if they're healthy, and recommend doing that you do it immediately at purchase, then once a quarter, or a week or so before a dive trip. Makes sure your batteries are holding the capacity they claim.
Opus BT-C3100 Charger/Battery Tester
This one is a bit nicer with some USB features and what not but I haven't used it.
I also have one of these that I use.
Nitecore D4 4-bay Digital Lithium Ion Battery Charger

If I were buying now, I would get the Xtar because it can use standard USB cords with slower charging which is convenient, you can daisy chain your phone to it to charge, and also use your light batteries as a phone charge bank which is convenient when travelling. You mention 3 lights, so that's 6 batteries, and cycling them should be OK. If you need more bays, then something like a Nitecore I4 would be fine.
Of note, these can also charge NiMH batteries which you may have if you have rechargeable AA/AAA's which is convenient, though I think you can only charge one battery chemistry at a time, or at least I only charge one chemistry at a time and haven't tried to get them to charge multiples.

In terms of batteries, I use the LiIon house branded protected button tops. Gives me peace of mind with the protection circuits for discharge even though most lights have it in their boards. These aren't cheap and you need to have 2x per light IMO, but well worth it.
Protected Panasonic/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A 18650 Button Top Battery - Wholesale Discount

F81DDF65-2764-4669-8B1F-252385E6587B.jpeg I would like your opinion on these 2 dive lights got them from another diver what’s your thoughts on them for lighting. They are a Underwater Kinetics LED C4 that holds 2 D batteries and the other one is a Underwater Kinetics SL4 that holds 2 C batteries.

@Alvin Slovinsky you got them, so they are what you have which is good. I don't like piston grip lights because they tie up one of your hands. Assuming the SL4 is also LED, then they are about as bright as the tiny handhelds we have been linking to so they're bigger/heavier/same light output. They are wider beam spread though so less good in murky water. Not a light I recommend for those reasons, but you have them and they work. If you can sell them for around the same as what it would cost for the ones we've been talking about then I would do that in a heartbeat

Thanks for your advice I might just sell them for what I got them for and upgrade to something that’s a lot newer and brighter in the water.

Back
Top Bottom