Sangalaki,Kakaban, Maratua Liveaboard (White Manta) Feedback?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pennylane

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to decide between a late June/early July live aboard for 2020 and looking at the Sangalaki route with White Manta-- haven't seen too much feedback from the live aboard route, mostly land based. Curious if any folks have done the trip this year and can offer any thoughts? Our alternative plan is to do a Komodo liveaboard as still on the bucket list! We have been to Komodo years ago, but just snorkeled and saw the dragons.. no scuba.

We have dove Misool, Bunaken/Lembeh, Alor and headed back this Nov for the Banda Sea crossing from Ambon- Raja.. so just lucky to be able to plan another trip next year and assume I really can't go wrong with either option! Any feedback on Sangalaki would be really appreciated!

Thanks

I'd skip the boat, and just go with either Scuba Junkie, or possibly some dive resort on Maratua. The liveaboard is pretty outrageously overpriced for what you get. I think it ends up being only 4 days of real diving, one per island. For the same money you can do 2x of diving with SJ. I was just there in early June and saw the liveaboard floating around. They went to same dive sites as us at around the same times, so there's no advantage to it.​

US$2,400.00 for the trip on White Manta.
SJ charge IDR 16,300,000(single occupancy, 8D/7N and 18 dives), half the price. Simple breakfast and lunch are included but you have to pay for the supper on Derawan. There are several local places to choose and they are good and economical.
Food on White Manta is probably a lot better but is it worth the extra US$1,200.00? I doubt it.

I've dived with Scuba Junkie and would not dive with them again when I eventually return. I'd probably go with a LOB or stay on an island near Maratua.

The consideration is whether you want to dive the channel in Maratua. When I was with Scuba Junkie, I asked to dive the channel but was told that they do not dive that divesite.

I've dived with Scuba Junkie and would not dive with them again when I eventually return. I'd probably go with a LOB or stay on an island near Maratua.

The consideration is whether you want to dive the channel in Maratua. When I was with Scuba Junkie, I asked to dive the channel but was told that they do not dive that divesite.

They claim it's dangerous down-currents but who knows. I've seen some reviews on Tripadvisor about the Nabucco resort where a few guests had intense experiences there. I'm not sure I would recommend going out of your way in accomodation selection, just for that one dive site, as barracudas are present elsewhere around Maratua.

For new visitors, best is to do maybe 50/50, SJ and Maratua. That's what one couple was doing when I went, so you can try it out both ways.

They claim it's dangerous down-currents but who knows. I've seen some reviews on Tripadvisor about the Nabucco resort where a few guests had intense experiences there. I'm not sure I would recommend going out of your way in accomodation selection, just for that one dive site, as barracudas are present elsewhere around Maratua.

For new visitors, best is to do maybe 50/50, SJ and Maratua. That's what one couple was doing when I went, so you can try it out both ways.
I think the SJ only dives the Derawan side of Maratua, which is quite an elongated Island. I don’t recall being taken to any dive site on Maratua when I dived with them.
I believe that Nabucco calls the front of the channel “Big Fish Country “. Personally, that is the one dive site that I would return to Maratua for.

Apologies. There is a typo in my last post. I meant to say that I don’t recall being taken to any dive site on the far side of Maratua by SJ when I dived with them. For them, it is a journey to get to the Derawan side of Maratua. And because Maratua is an elongated island, it is another trek to get to the far side.

Apologies. There is a typo in my last post. I meant to say that I don’t recall being taken to any dive site on the far side of Maratua by SJ when I dived with them. For them, it is a journey to get to the Derawan side of Maratua. And because Maratua is an elongated island, it is another trek to get to the far side.

That seems to be their plan, however, we did dive a few sites directly in the north tip of of Maratua, and went pretty far south to Turtle Traffic. I can't imagine Big Fish country would have been that much farther. Their excuse was it's too dangerous with down-currents :) I don't know, maybe it's worth the trouble to dive there but I won't be back for a long time just for one site.

That seems to be their plan, however, we did dive a few sites directly in the north tip of of Maratua, and went pretty far south to Turtle Traffic. I can't imagine Big Fish country would have been that much farther. Their excuse was it's too dangerous with down-currents :) I don't know, maybe it's worth the trouble to dive there but I won't be back for a long time just for one site.
There are other sites that are known for down currents such as Crystal Bay on Lembongan and Cape Kri in RA. I will not knowingly dive with dive operators who will not dive such sites.

I have experience of down currents. Yes, I carry redundant air and a complement of signalling devices. I look to dive currents and love sites that can be intense, so I will naturally look for dive operators who can cater for such dives.

I will not return to Maratua if I cannot dive The Channel aka Big Fish Country. Just my point of view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom