What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrap 50$ bill around driver license and credit card in swimsuit pocket. Put glasses and keys in small bottle clipped to BC.

Truck windows down with only towels and water.

Never had a problem. But I have seen other trucks with broken windows because drivers ignored the instructions. Their loss.

I think that’s exactly what @Lorenzoid meant because the $100 cash in his BC, not in his car. :)
We learned the hard way in Mexico to leave a window down and the doors unlocked (and nothing of value in the car)

Has anyone used a bike lock to discourage petty theft? I plan to leave the windows down etc. and I don't plan on leaving anything of "real" value in the vehicle, but there will be a few items in there that would be inconvenient if they disappeared (old soft-side cooler I use as a camera bag, 2.5 gal water jugs, older mesh gear bag, cheap flip flops). It would be pretty easy to bring a combo cable bike lock and run it through the handles of these items and the steering wheel. Do these thieves use bolt cutters? (Homer Simpson once put a padlock on a trampoline in his yard specifically so someone would steal it, just wondering if I'd be tempting something similar.)

IMG_6557.jpg

I don't think they'll steal just anything. I've seen people leave their flip flops out on the ground at the back of their truck. Things like expensive sunglasses, a cell phone, or stuff like that seems like more what they're after. I know of people leaving a cooler with sandwiches and drinks and for the most part they get left alone. Once in a while the food is gone. If a person is hungry they can have my sandwich.

Has anyone used a bike lock to discourage petty theft? I plan to leave the windows down etc. and I don't plan on leaving anything of "real" value in the vehicle, but there will be a few items in there that would be inconvenient if they disappeared (old soft-side cooler I use as a camera bag, 2.5 gal water jugs, older mesh gear bag, cheap flip flops). It would be pretty easy to bring a combo cable bike lock and run it through the handles of these items and the steering wheel. Do these thieves use bolt cutters? (Homer Simpson once put a padlock on a trampoline in his yard specifically so someone would steal it, just wondering if I'd be tempting something similar.)

View attachment 533931

I’ll let you know how this goes next week... how easy is it to take a steering wheel off a Bonaire divetruck?...I bet that happens to me...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom