Latex-Free Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gibby

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello;

New to the forum, obviously. I was certified in the mid-90's for scuba, but after receiving orders to Europe and subsequently spending the next 15 years in Germany...I did not pursue it. It was just way too difficult to find a suitable location and too expensive to continue at my pay grade.

Well, I have since retired and want to get back in to it. However, my wife has a very sensitive latex allergy. (SOAPBOX TALK - Skip to the next paragraph) Has this industry finally gotten on board with offering a safer environment and means for everyone (latex allergy sufferers as well) to not use such a toxic substance? She never used to be sensitive to latex; but, working in the medical field in Europe for years afforded her with a ton of experience and an allergy that could kill her if a stray rubber balloon happens to fly by. Don't even ask her to go in to a tire store. Latex can build up in your system and can cause anaphylaxis.

Anyway, on to the real question instead of my soap box...Is it possible to find a completely latex-free dive experience? From the air compressor filling the tanks all the way to the air lines and mouth piece? I do understand cross exposure from people renting equipment diving off the same boat and all that. For this argument, lets just assume I too have the same allergy, we own our equipment and we're only ever going to be diving together with the exact same equipment.

Thanks for your help and I wish everyone well. Hopefully this thread will help others. I'll post more here if I find out information from different sources.

GIB!!!

Interesting question! The ony latex I know of for sure in Scuba gear is the seals on some drysuits. Lots of neoprene, butyl rubber, silicone....what are some things in which latex can be "hidden?"

there is very little latex used in most scuba items these days. it is even possible to be neoprene free if you are also sensitive to synthetic rubber. silicone allergies would be harder as most masks and regulator soft parts are silicone these days.

Hello;

New to the forum, obviously. I was certified in the mid-90's for scuba, but after receiving orders to Europe and subsequently spending the next 15 years in Germany...I did not pursue it. It was just way too difficult to find a suitable location and too expensive to continue at my pay grade.

Well, I have since retired and want to get back in to it. However, my wife has a very sensitive latex allergy. (SOAPBOX TALK - Skip to the next paragraph) Has this industry finally gotten on board with offering a safer environment and means for everyone (latex allergy sufferers as well) to not use such a toxic substance? She never used to be sensitive to latex; but, working in the medical field in Europe for years afforded her with a ton of experience and an allergy that could kill her if a stray rubber balloon happens to fly by. Don't even ask her to go in to a tire store. Latex can build up in your system and can cause anaphylaxis.

Anyway, on to the real question instead of my soap box...Is it possible to find a completely latex-free dive experience? From the air compressor filling the tanks all the way to the air lines and mouth piece? I do understand cross exposure from people renting equipment diving off the same boat and all that. For this argument, lets just assume I too have the same allergy, we own our equipment and we're only ever going to be diving together with the exact same equipment.

Thanks for your help and I wish everyone well. Hopefully this thread will help others. I'll post more here if I find out information from different sources.

GIB!!!

Gibb...

From your post...you're not just talking latex...but all rubbers...tires/hoses/balloons...

If you and your spouse are sensitized to ''rubber''...and all its variants...I think you both need to find another sport/hobbie...

This is an industry where ''rubber'' is king...

There are now components/sub-components such as silicone dry-suit seals...nylon braided regulator hoses...trying to isolate youselves 100%...is going to be nearly impossible...especially when your with groups such as on charters...

Best...

Warren

I think it's possible now. 20 years ago probably not. Just off the top of my head..

Piston regulator
MiFlex hoses
Silicone mouth pieces
Dive watch
Drysuit with silicone seals
Plastic fins
Silicone mask

All of those avoid latex and rubber. That took me 10 seconds of thought.

The difficult part would be other divers on the boat with you. You could avoid that by shore diving tho.

Latex degrades rapidly and is only used in SCUBA applications like drysuit seals where acceptable alternatives are just starting to come online. It is a good material for one-use items like gloves and condoms but sucks for any durable application.

pretty sure some manufacturers have switched to silicone orings. viton is also less likely to trigger rubber allergies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom