Leaky Mask help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edwants2dive

Glowstick
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yes I know this has probably had a thread before but the one I found was old and I decided to start a new one.
So here goes I have a mustache(shaving it off is not an option) and my mask leaks most of the time( I have had 1 or 2 dives that it didn't). I own 2 masks both fit "properly", a Tilos clear skirt (I bought more for price) and a Mares X-vision liquid skin, both leak to varying degrees. I have not tried any form of wax or sealer for the issue. Also after diving the Mares mask a few times I find I don't like it as muck as I did at first so I am looking at getting a new mask anyway. So with that let the games begin!

:popcorn:

Also I am curious about framed vs frameless advantages/disadvantages.

Yes I know this has probably had a thread before but the one I found was old and I decided to start a new one. So with that let the games begin!

:popcorn:

:coke:

Yes, a lot has changed in mustache technology since those last threads.

Drywall screws are simply a thing of the past.
There are many new high strength adhesive/sealants such as Gorilla Glue.
Try that stuff.

First, nowhere in your post did you ask a question, so don't be surprised how quickly this thread may go off on a tangent since all replies are assumptions.

Now, there is no mask (other than full face mask) that can solve your mustache leak. If shaving is not an option, then get some wax. Trident, Innovative, etc. sell mask dealing wax specifically for diving.

New mask? I highly recommend Cressi Big Eyes Evolution. Great design, very soft silicone, fits a wide range of faces easily.

Like you, my tash is non-negotiable. Nothing scientific but I've found the softer the mask skirt, the more it leaks! I've had a variety of masks over the years with no problems. Then I bought an Atomic Venom with a super soft skirt and it randomly leeks like a b!?#ch! I'm assuming you've tried other masks to see if it's just yours?

I too have a stash that stays but when I dive I use a trimmer with an attachment and turn it into stubble and a bit of chapstick does the trick.

Stretch your upper lip, and shave a tiny bit just under your nose. Doesn't really affect your stache, but will help with your mask seal.

Stretch your upper lip, and shave a tiny bit just under your nose. Doesn't really affect your stache, but will help with your mask seal.
Yep! And be sure to shave your upper cheek too.

Add some lotion afterwards to make the skin supple, and you'll have a great sealing surface.

I'm diving an Atomic Venom Frameless and I've found that shaving about a 1/4 inch under my nose helps a lot. Still get some leaking but not nearly as much.

Back
Top Bottom