pros and cons of hydro test not at LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing to verify with your LDS is if they offfer a discount on fils with their VIP. I save more on fills than I pay on VIPs. Air is $5 with the shop’s VIP, $8 without. I am fortunate enough to dive enough to make that pay out fairly well.

I went directly to a hydro test facility, not because of the money, but because of the delay involved. When my LDS was located less than a mile from the hydro facility it took them 4 weeks or more to get my tanks hydroed, vised, and filled. Now that they have moved a significant distance from the hydro facility, I dread to think how long it would take.

The hydro facility told me it might take as long as 2 weeks for the hydro. Then I only have to deal with a vis and fill. There is a new dive shop that just opened closer to me so I will try them out and see if I get a faster turn around on the vis and and a full (rather than short) fill.

I just called an LDS this week to inquire about hyrdo pricing. I'm considering buying some used tanks out of hyrdo and wanted to factor the certification costs into the deal. This LDS does the hydro testing in-house. They charge about $75 a tank to hydro, VIP, O2 clean, and rebuild the valve with O2 safe o-rings. Turnaround time is about a week.

While the costs seems inline with the industry it made me realize there's not much savings in buying a used aluminum 80 out of hyrdo, over the cost of buying new

While the costs seems inline with the industry it made me realize there's not much savings in buying a used aluminum 80 out of hyrdo, over the cost of buying new

Kind of depends on how much one pays for the used tank.

Bob

I just called an LDS this week to inquire about hyrdo pricing. I'm considering buying some used tanks out of hyrdo and wanted to factor the certification costs into the deal. This LDS does the hydro testing in-house. They charge about $75 a tank to hydro, VIP, O2 clean, and rebuild the valve with O2 safe o-rings. Turnaround time is about a week.

I will not pay more than $30 for a used LP72 or AL80 in "as found" condition. Up to $175 for HP100s and HP120s. I've paid more for cylinders that are in hydro with good valves.

I now assume that:
- I will nearly always have to replace the valve. I pay $39 for valves at DGX.
- About 10% will fail hydro
- About 10% will require whipping or internal shot blasting before I can use them
- I will spend an hour per tank driving around, scraping off old decals, trying to find the right boot, etc.

For AL80s, paying $159 or whatever for a new cylinder from a dive shop, with a fresh VIP, new valve, and usually some number of free fills, is a pretty good deal. It does depend on location. The places in Florida that buy them by the pallet or truckload seem to have the best deals.

Long time ago, I dumped a bunch of tanks when they came up for hydro because I could get a brand new tank with valve for $129.

I had decided that I would no longer do hydros. Just sell them when they came due and buy new. I was diving DIN on all my tanks, so I’d take the cheap valve off the new tank and put it on the old tank. Buyers were getting an old tank, but a brand new valve. My plan worked good except for the a couple of the doubles I kept.

Now that AL80s are running $179, it would cost ~$100/ per tank, so I’m doing hydros again. But, I will let go of AL tanks that are more than 10 years old.

I have seen where some have their tanks hydro tested at a company that does fire equipment. I am needing my old but never used tank tested. LDS wants $80 for test and VIP, fire equipment company wants $25 for test.
What are the pros and cons of using the fire equipment company and what should I watch for?

There are no cons to having the test itself done there. That is where your dive shop sends tanks to be tested. They will not however give you a VIP sticker. Only dive shops require you have a VIP sticker. If this place is reasonably close you can just go there to get your tanks filled without a sticker.

I dropped direct in pursuit of the elusive "+" for some LP tanks. Or to get my vintage tanks hydro'ed. I fill my own vintage tanks with a reg to reg whip.
Local hydro shop (2 blocks away) also does annual and fills, air only.
Otherwise, I use my LDS.

This makes sense. What little savings I ended up with was outweighed by the risk of a tank failing hydro, my time driving to hydro, down time for hydro etc... Seems like I can buy a new AL80 from Divers Supply in Jacksonville, FL for $155 nitrox ready with VIP.

Who knows what there self imposed craziness is, but with the LP generic ticker (and my LDS was using them for a bit too), you can put your identification number on it with a sharpie. If that doesn't work, I'd be going elsewhere... I am a certified tank inspector from an accepted institution.

View attachment 533423

I use these (and they cost less [$45/100] than LP [$1.95 ea], and will never be unusable as the year is a single digit):

View attachment 533424

These also have the O2 status on them.

VIP Inspection Stickers (100)

YMMV

Hey Bob...

I use the VIP stickers as attached...I buy them in lots of 50...$1. each...Cylinder Training Services is far too expensive and their shipping costs are outragous...a lot of what they sell can be made at home...either from scratch...or re-purposed...For O2 service cleaning (100%)...I use Crystal Simple Green...

With the yellow and green colour...saves having to use NITROX bands...

I'm re-hydro certified as well as VIP...but no longer have shop access to machine...I take cylinders to Flame Tamer north/west Toronto...3/4 days turn-around sometimes less...

I've never been questioned at any DS regarding my cylinders ...and always travel with all my service cert cards just in case...

I'll match my work with anyone...anywhere...

What I'm reading on SB is this LDS in-fighting regarding VIP/re-hydro/100% O2 clean is mostly in Florida...

Clear indication to me that the shops are suffering...if they were busy and handling more that their fare share...they wouldn't care...no one complains about making too much money...only not enough...

Best...

Warren

NITROX VIP Sticker.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom