Back to Coz or elsewhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JG109

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been to Cozumel many many times.
Always had a good time and good diving, one year a norte blew thru :(
Started budget and worked up to Secrets Aura last year.
Been to Roatan, St Thomas & St John, PR, T&C, Bimini, Fl Keys.
I already know we want All Inclusive, budget $2500 pp incl air from EWR (Newark NJ)
Probably not doing a group, I divide the savings over the group so no financial incentive for the headache.
I know you folks are well traveled so my question is:

March 2020, back to Cozumel or is there somewhere w good diving and AI option that we haven't been before that you would suggest?

Curacao ? they have an AI right on the beach. Sunscape property.

Home

the reefs were in great shape when we visited at christmas 2017. lots of top side things to do as well.

Need more info. Is this a dive trip, or are you on a general vacation and want to get in some diving while there?

What do you want to see? Are you mostly about coral reefs, the 'underwater flower garden' look, or is seeing big animals a draw? A coral reef diver might not like diving out of Morehead City, North Carolina to do the off-shore wrecks, but a history buff with a love for sharks would be a different story.

What kind of diving do you want to do? I take it you've mostly boat dove. Would you like to spend a week doing a good bit of shore diving?

Do you like 'full service' islands that offer a range of 'cruise ship stop excursion' type options (e.g.: zip lining, aerial trams, dolphin interactions, etc...) or a bit more quaint and rustic (e.g.: St. Croix would fill the bill)?

Do you need a sandy beach? A lot of shopping?

If you want 'more of the same,' what did you especially like about Cozumel?

If you want to branch out and try something different, what would you like to try?

Good point, tropical Dive trip/vacation, prob 2-3 dives a day, then relax, few drinks, dinner, bed. $2500 pp incl air.
I dive wrecks every weekend in NJ-drysuit and doubles, also been to NC many times. The vis is slightly better in NC ( in case you weren't sure). So, don't need wrecks- CocoView did look cool tho.
I've done Bonaire before also. Thinking boat dives- not mandatory tho.
NJ is the most crowded state in the country so prob pass on cruise ship mobscursions and shopping.
More like a Corona commercial with good diving, All inclusive. Warm water, good vis, healthy reefs.
Cozumel is safe (in bed by 10 tho), set up for diving, friendly people, consistently good vis, we all like to see turtles/eagle rays and sharks. I can't really see microscopic flora and fauna anyway. Just might be nice to see and dive a place I've never been.

What you describe opens up some possibilities, including a couple 'on my radar' that I haven't stayed at. A 'Clearly Cayman' Cayman Brac package might be good, if you don't get bored topside and can stretch that budget a bit. Thankfully airfare to the Caymans looked pretty good when I checked in the past, and you won't need to rent a car.

A popular resort I've read good reviews about that's been used for a number of regional group trips in my area is Turquoise Bay Resort in Roatan. Anthony's Key Resort gets attention for their special rate on a 2nd diver deals; don't know whether that's 'on' now or not. I've seen TBR trip offerings that were really cheap, though.

If I were headed to Roatan I'd want to stay at CocoView Resort, but I'd be wanting to do more than 2 or 3 dives/day. Airfare will likely cost significantly more than at least the Grand Cayman portion of a Caymans trip, and in Roatan 'sand fleas' can be an issue.

Speaking of which, when looking at your comparative costs, keep in mind some places may offer a price that includes all taxes/fees/etc..., and some may not. The fine print matters.

I'd start by pricing out total trip costs for those 2, comparing, and deciding what you do and don't like about each option.

Richard.

How about one of the Caymans? Clearly Cayman May be over budget

We've been to Cobalt Coast 2X in the past year. Easy to get to, affordable accommodations and decent AI meals. Nice property. Varied diving with a really nice house reef. I preferred the (free) shore diving option to the pricey afternoon boat trips.

ps: I'm kinda burned out on Coz as well.

We've been to Cobalt Coast 2X in the past year. Easy to get to, affordable and decent AI meals. Varied diving with a really nice house reef. I preferred the (free) shore diving option to the pricey afternoon boat trips.
I went to CC twice prior the change in ownership, it was very good

I was looking into other Caribbean dive destinations with all inclusive accommodation for my next dive trip. Bonaire, surprisingly, has dive resorts that offer AI accommodation and dive packages. I have read, again through research, that Bonaire dive sites are very healthy and excellent. A search of 'Bonaire All Inclusive Resorts' on Trip Advisor came up with a list of candidates. I went to the websites of three resorts that offer AI and diving from shore or boat that seem to be within your budget (and mine :D):
Plaza Beach and Dive Resort Bonaire.
Coral Paradise Resort
Divi Flamingo All-Inclusive

Curacao is a bigger version of Bonaire diving with beach entries instead of ironshore. And cheaper/easier to get to. I'm pretty sure I connected in Newark to get there on a direct flight.
www.curacao.com The SB Surges go to Sunscape every couple of years.

No experience there but I think St. Lucia has quite a few AI resorts also. And good diving.

Obviously many of the Belize atoll resorts are AI - some the only resort on the atoll. Shore based is typically long boat rides out to the reef from places like Hamanasi or Robert's Grove though. Southwest flies there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom