pros and cons of hydro test not at LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I should have added more of the information. My tank is a new AL80 I bought in 2008 but never used and never filled. Most of my diving has been overseas and I didn't want the extra weight going through airports. The valve is a K valve and is also unused and bought new at the same time and never had air through it.
LDS sent me this "Hydros are $50 + VIP and fill. Total is $77.70 including tax."

The fire equipment company just sent me this "$21.50 per tank + tax." I have requested more information from them. www.chattanoogafire.com to be exact

A lot of great information, thank you everybody.

You wouldn’t haul a tank overseas anyway.

Go with your local dive shop.

I don't think one solution applies to everyone the same. With relatively new tanks may be perfectly fine to have anyone perform the tests.

When it comes to tanks that are out of production, it may be different because if you are dealing with a shop that mainly hydro's propane tanks or whatever other tanks, they may not know exactly how to deal with your tanks.

Florida is a good state for hydro testing. I know of 2 places in opposite corners of theState, I'm sure there something in cave country.
There's a very knowledgeable guy in Chipley (Panhandle area) with facilities very clean and organized.

Here in South Florida there's also "Scuba Tank Services" in Fort Lauderdale, again a place that deal mainly with scuba tanks, I think they also do SCBA tanks but nothing else. They have a quick turn around, and if there's any issue with your tank, a photo will be texted to your phone before anything goes farther. The price is a bit higher than generic hydro testing facilities but less than a dive shop. To me is worth having a local facility that caters to divers and I'm more than happy to patronize them.

Depending on the information I get back from the fire equipment company as to what all they do or don't do I might go with both, have the fire equipment company hydro the tank and the dive shop VIP the tank.
If it was an old used tank I would definitely let the LDS check it.

taking it directly to the hydro facility is cheaper, especially if they can provide a psi pci inspection and fill too afterwards.

LDS may have more convenient hours and/or location.

if the hydro facility is doing things correctly, they will dry the tanks after hydro, then reseal with your valve so you don't get flash rusting.

edit: forgot to add it can be faster to go direct to the hydro facility, turnaround at a LDS can be slow if they have to wait until they have a certain number of tanks before they take them to the facility

I have 53 tanks + 10 300 Bar cascade bottles weighing over 100K each. If I had to pay $80 a tank for hydro it would come up over 5K$.
For that kind of money I could look around and buy a dive shop including gear and whatever goodwill they still have.
Ask me why I hydro my own tanks, without certification, and don't add VIP stickers.

Occasionally I run across a used tank that I buy that I'm not sure about which then gets hydro'ed.
The last one was a US Divers galvanized steel 72 from the first year of US Divers existance and stamped RENE from Rene Brussou. Inside it looked good so I had it hydro'ed by a hydro facility that I'm friendy with - asked them to do the tests while I watched, but under no circumstances were they to add a stamp to this almost 70 year old unscratched pristine tank. Yes it passed with flying colors, the galvanizing still doesn't have a scratch, and every year or so I wear it with my sharkskin wetsuit, round divemask and oldest double hose regulator, without a horsecollar, while diving with other freaks who love their antique gear.

Michael

.. the fire equipment company hydro the tank and the dive shop VIP the tank.....
Can we get a picture the diveshop owner's face when you drop it off for the VIP?

erase.jpg

the "penalty" charges will far exceed the cost they would have charged you to have them do it turn key.....

Never had a tank done, always rented so not getting the problem having it tested elsewhere and the LDS VIP it. What have I been missing?

Never had a tank done, always rented so not getting the problem having it tested elsewhere and the LDS VIP it. What have I been missing?
Right. Zero issue. They do the visual on the other 4 years between hydros, there is nothing special about the 5th year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom