Scubapro X-tek sidemount 20 LTv.s. Xdeep Stealth 2.0 TEC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miko_T

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi, I am considering getting a new sidemount BC which I can use in both cold and warm water, and with multi-stages.

I am looking at Scubapro X-tek sidemount 20 LT and Xdeep Stealth 2.0 TEC. I've seen a lot of people using Xdeep Stealth 2.0 TEC.

I didn't find many reviews for X-tek sidemount. Can anyone share their thoughts about this BC?

And also the pro and cons between these two BCs? (and other BCs if you have other better options :wink:)

Minimal exposure to the Scubapro system, but the one I dived with ballooned like a basketball. This was a couple years ago, so maybe they have made some improvements.
Currently have a student in an XDeep and with a drysuit he has problem reaching the rear dump.
There are a couple mods out there that we are going to look at. One is to extend the pull dump line to the left or right and have an additional fabric loop sewn on the shell to keep it in place.
The other (Edd Mod) is to put a grommet or sew a bottom hole in the shell and extend the line through plastic tubing under the shell and out over the shoulder. You can go to Cave Adventures Facebook page and they have a couple images of that mod.

The reason you don't see many reviews of the SP system is because the SP sidemount systems suck. They need extensive modifications to work halfways decent. I've had students with them and they were a pain in the butt to set up. Not to mention they are overpriced considering you have to spend extra money to get them barely usable.
I own systems from HOG, Dive Rite, Manta, and an X deep Classic that I built my own harness setup around. As well as a deco sidemount for small cylinders that is basically an MSR bladder with a dump and inflator.
I've also used an SMS100 and taught students using the Hollis Katana and SMS75.
The owner of the shop where I teach has an XDeep tech and at this point, IF I were going to buy another complete system, that's what I'd go with. It's good out of the box if you know how to set it up and just plain great with a couple of easy hardware and bungee mods.
I've not run into a serious problem with the length of the rear dump cord on my classic but it can be a pain depending on what suit I'm diving. I have seen the Edd mod and I also like Scott's possible solution and I may try that.
Right now with owning 5 setups and having access to several others, I'd have to say while the ones I primarily dive work very well for me because I have a few hundred dives on them and know them, the X deep tech is the probably going to have a shorter learning curve with the right instructor.

The SP system sucks, I have one and the only reason I bought it was because it was $200 brand new. The system definitely is not a warm water system for AL80. The waist band ends up in the wrong spot on a lot of people because it just can’t ride low enough due to the harness.

My Razor is a much easier system to use and I would recommend that or the XDeep.

Neither, been using a Dive Rite Nomad since Bill Renickers wife was sewing them together out of transpac’s.

2nd the Nomad LT Cave

No mods required, just add your preferred bungee method and dive!

I've owned and sold both my Xdeep Classic and Tec setups after short periods of time.

_R

My opinion is that the Scubapro X-Tek Sidemount system is a lot like the rest of the Scubapro X-Tek line...poorly designed. The XDeep is a nice system. I also like the Hollis Katana and the DiveRite Nomad LS. For warm water I move over to a minimalist harness design like the Apeks WSX or Razor. You can also build a warm water harness cheaply by ordering what you need from DECO - Dive Equipment Company - Sidemount - BCD's.

Back
Top Bottom