Sargasso.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We do not know what the future holds - but right now the west side is clear and that is what the traveler whats to know!
The traveler also needs to know that it could change at any time. It wasn't that long ago that the basin out front of La Ceiba was covered by a mat of the stuff.

It really depends which way the wind blows. When the wind shifts northerly this fall for the occasional El Norte or if we get a southern wind due to a passing weather system it will hit the west side also.
The mainland is really getting hit hard with the prevailing east winds. Read a couple days back where they are starting to use prisoners to help with the removal.

Recently, during a Presidential press conference, one of the reporters asked the Mexican President: if he was going to help in anyway with the devastating problem of sargazo.
The Mexican President said “ there is no problem”

So, we do not have a problem!

Recently, during a Presidential press conference, one of the reporters asked the Mexican President: if he was going to help in anyway with the devastating problem of sargazo.
The Mexican President said “ there is no problem”

So, we do not have a problem!
When I was there in May we went to Chen Rio; there were signs up near the beach explaining how the seaweed was part of the circle of life, providing food and habitat for many species, etc. We were the only people there.

When I was there in May we went to Chen Rio; there were signs up near the beach explaining how the seaweed was part of the circle of life, providing food and habitat for many species, etc. We were the only people there.

I can see how the sargasso disappoints tourists. When I visited during the summer, the east side had piles of it, but nature happens. Growing up as part-time farm girl, I am used to "nature happens."

Went over to Tulum for a couple days to dive Cenote's. Per the dive shop owner the tourism is down significantly due to the Sargasso. Head back over on the ferry.
Here is one of the prime beaches in Playa next to the ferry. Booms are up the beach is raked and clean and the water is brown. It's a nice day in August and I see primarily a lite croud of Latinos in the water and very few international tourists. This has got to be hurting the mainland hard
[Afull]533352[/ATTACH] [/ATTACH]
20190808_143201.jpg

Attachments

• 20190808_143206.jpg
    20190808_143206.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20190808_143206.jpg
    20190808_143206.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 179
Any updates?

Back
Top Bottom