Truck rental Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks all. I've managed to pay ahead for Budget and they have sent me a prepaid voucher, so i'm going to run with that. 'uneventful' is good feedback...
appreciate all the feedback. I like the look of the ultimatedivetrucks Bonaire, but i'm solo and happy to drive stick, so the value at the price isn't really there for me in this instance.

thanks all. I've managed to pay ahead for Budget and they have sent me a prepaid voucher, so i'm going to run with that. 'uneventful' is good feedback...
appreciate all the feedback. I like the look of the ultimatedivetrucks Bonaire, but i'm solo and happy to drive stick, so the value at the price isn't really there for me in this instance.

I used Budget last year in Bonaire, and it was totally uneventful. It's even possible that I returned the truck with a ding that wasn't there when I picked it up, and they didn't say anything about it (though the theoretical ding of which I speak was hard to spot).

A word of caution about insurance: In two past trips to Bonaire, I relied on my Citi Costco Visa credit card auto insurance coverage (which included pickup trucks), and declined the CDW coverage that the rental agency offered. I just double checked online, and there are numerous reports that all Citi cards are dropping auto insurance coverage altogether as of September 2019. Also, some credit card issuers like AMEX cover car rentals but do not cover pickup trucks. So I may be having to spring for the CDW coverage after all for the next trip.

. . . Also, some credit card issuers like AMEX cover car rentals but do not cover pickup trucks. So I may be having to spring for the CDW coverage after all for the next trip.

Not to get off topic--which for the OP appears to be a done deal--but just to clarify, the AMEX insurance that many of us have used for Bonaire rentals with Telerin is the AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection, which does cover pickup trucks.

Not to get off topic--which for the OP appears to be a done deal--but just to clarify, the AMEX insurance that many of us have used for Bonaire rentals with Telerin is the AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection, which does cover pickup trucks.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that AMEX premium protection included trucks. I see online that it's just a flat fee of $25 max for the whole rental period, which is very reasonable. I may be using that on the next trip.

Tnx. I always opt for the CWD on trips like this. It’s actually not that much...I think about $150 for the 2 weeks and will help when I inevitably reverse into a ‘bumper height’ rock somewhere...

Reactions: gbf
I used to use the AMEX Premium Insurance....I've actually had to use it a couple of times when rental agencies on Bonaire charged me for dings on the truck and it worked great...I stopped using it because it became my understanding it didn't provide liability insurance. As I understood it if you trashed someone else's vehicle or them or their passengers on Bonaire and it was determined you were liable AMEX wouldn't cover it while full insurance by the rental agency on Bonaire will. Am I correct on this?

I used to use the AMEX Premium Insurance....I've actually had to use it a couple of times when rental agencies on Bonaire charged me for dings on the truck and it worked great...I stopped using it because it became my understanding it didn't provide liability insurance. As I understood it if you trashed someone else's vehicle or them or their passengers on Bonaire and it was determined you were liable AMEX wouldn't cover it while full insurance by the rental agency on Bonaire will. Am I correct on this?

I believe if you are insured for liability through your personal vehicle insurance, the coverage would be effective for events that happened while you were driving a rental car or any other car.

Here's something State Farm has to say on the matter: Rental Car Insurance - State Farm®

But see the last bullet point for a reason to consider paying for separate rental car insurance: "You're traveling in another country and the insurance agreement or local laws prevent you from leaving until you've fully paid for any damages that might occur."

Thanks. I'll give my insurance agency a call and check this out.

Liability coverage and the possibility of being detained while liability for an injury is being sorted out has also been discussed in the Mexico forum, if I recall. Scared me, that's for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom