Looking for two flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend OrcaTorch D550.

-Z

DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®

Unless you need a canister light, this will do as a primary and a back up

I have the button version of the same DGX 600, keep it on a DGX soft Goodman handle when diving, the push button is very good for one handed operation.

Most recommend twist lights because of “failure point” of button, but does anyone have any data on “failure rates” linked to the button, especially compared to failures of twists ones?

Have a CX1 which uses a magnetic switch. Very happy with it. Also picked up 3 used lights from a member on here, these are for my 3 oldest now that they are AOW and will do night dives. One of them is an older DGX600, a twist model. All were nice lights, 1 uses 2xAA (NiMH), 1 uses 2xCR123R (rechargeable) and the DGX uses the 18650. All lasted through a 50 minutes night dive without dimming. My CX1 did that and a couple of day dives with sporadic use. Still had over 50% battery life on it. If you buy two different models, make sure that the batteries are the same or at least similar enough you can use the same charger. The CX1 comes with an XTAR battery and an XTAR charger, a step up from the usual lower stuff that often comes with lights. It's still not a 'great' charger as it doesn't have any features for analyzing or rejuvenating batteries etc. But for travel it works well and I have a 4 bank charger at home for the other features. The CX1 also has multiple output settings. I used the 100% during the day to light up under overhangs and deep into enclaves etc. During the night dive I used the lowest setting and it was ample for the majority of the dive.

...Most recommend twist lights because of “failure point” of button, but does anyone have any data on “failure rates” linked to the button, especially compared to failures of twists ones?

Not scientific but I had 3(same model) Intova push buttons that I used as back-ups. Two were bought together at Dive Shop 1 and the third was bought 9 -12 months later at Dive Shop 2. After 5 to 6+ years, they all crapped out about the same time. During that time, they were turned on and off a number of times during predive checks and occasional dive usage. They seemed to be well constructed other than the push button. Seemed like the push button just had a limited life based on the number of on/offs. I tried to get replacement butts from TovaTec with no luck. Also had a friend who was using the same Intova model (rather than a big primary) during a cave dive while taking photos. One crapped out so she turned the other on and then it crapped out on her. With that said, I have used a Big Blue or DRIS on one occasion and it was fine, and I have several buddies who use Big Blues with no issues.

Had a $20 Tec40 plastic twist light implode on me on the Speigel Grove at 100+ feet but it was about 10 years old. I got some dang good use out of that light.

I have two Kraken lights; the NR-1200 as my primary, and the NR-650 as my backup. They're both small enough to easily clip off with a bolt snap, turn on with buttons that are easy to press through gloves, dimmable, with a subtle LED battery indicator light around the button, and enough burn time on the brightest setting to outlast my air. They both take the same rechargeable battery, which comes with a cradle but you can also plug the battery directly into a micro USB plug. The 650 also has an adapter to allow you to use 3 AAAs instead. I think I paid $160 for the 1200 but only $60 for the 650 (looks like MSRP is a little higher on each.) I've also used my friend's Big Blue and liked it. Really I think you'll find a lot of good options in your general price range.

Kraken Sports
Kraken Sports

I used this with an Oxycheq sock as a primary light cave diving this weekend with @The Chairman . They're more than bright enough, have the battery indicator, use 18650 batteries, multiple brightness settings, and are compact. Not cheap, but quite nice, and much preferred to me over twisty's
Cave Adventurers - Cave Adventurers Expedition Back-Up Light - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Those appear to be rebranded Brinythe DIV12S lights. I have several of them and like them. They are smaller in size than the Big Blue and Razor branded lights of the same roughly 1k lumen output but perform comparablely. I buy them off of Ebay for about $35 each and then buy a high quality 18650 battery and charger. For 2 lights with high quality batteries and a charger you will probably have about $100 invested. So essentially they are 1/2 price for the same light with a higher quality charger and battery. I find these to be really hard to beat.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273860580672

@bamafan thanks Eric, yeah do that one instead. I'll be cancelling that order since it hasn't shipped yet and grabbing a few of those since I certainly wouldn't be using their chargers or batteries

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom