What order to buy gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcilux

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just finished my certification (PADI open water) and did my first couple dives, and I am considering buying some pieces of gear. Due to a combination of cost, storage, transportation, etc, I'm leaning towards buying minimal gear for now and renting instead, but I wanted to at least consider what order to buy in.

I already have a mask and fins from snorkeling, but that's it. I live in the Florida Keys, so warm water, and do not currently have plans to do any specialty or deep diving for the immediately foreseeable future.

I was thinking that really the best thing I could buy to start out would be my own dive computer. That way I could get comfortable with it and have access to go back and see details of my dives after the fact, other than just relying on manually logging them after each dive.

Is that a good place to start? Is there even any value in buying my own equipment at this point, or should I wait until I can get a full kit?

If you want to wait a bit to get the more expensive items (to see what works for you), but don't like the idea of a rental reg in your mouth, get a SeaCure moldable mouth piece. Every op I have seen is willing to switch out mouth pieces on their regs. But check with them first, before signing up.

I would go wetsuit first if you need one then BC then regs

Exposure protection first -- diving sucks if you are cold.

Computer second -- will allow much more bottom time and give you much more time to enjoy the sport.

Regulator third -- rental regs are generally fine but knowing the service history of your reg is good peace of mind.

Everything else ... tanks last.

I'd put BC over regs, assuming you get a good one for you. Having a well-fitted and functional (for your purposes) BCD beats renting whatever is available. Regs have less variability in fit and function, so a "perfect reg for you" won't be as different from a rental reg as a "perfect BCD for you" is from a rental.

Arguably, this can be turned around to make a case for the reg first. If you aren't sure what's"perfect for me" then better to get the reg first.

If you;re going to buy a computer - if hosed - most shops won't want you hooking it up to their rental regs as you could damage the port rendering the reg useless. Or the AI transmitter if you go hoseless. If you buy a basic wrist model, you'll still need to rent an spg.

The issue with the Seacure - or your own mouthpieceon rental regs is that most shops will need a dayto change it out - IDK of any willing to do it the morning of your boat dive trip. And there's probably a small charge since they will have their tech do it.Plus if you have it installed on their reg, they're likely going to charge you for each day's rental since they can't use that reg till you're done with it.

To Doc's point - probably 99% of shops rent a less expensive Jacket style BC as they're easier and cheaper for them. I'm a back inflate fan as I can't trim out a jacket as well.They cost more so are less likely to be in rental fleets.

What sort of funds do you have available for the first major purchase. $500 buys a decent BC but just a starter reg set - remember you'll have to add about $150 for gauges plus octo's are another $150-200.

Given where you live and the warm water maybe a Zeagle Covet XL or an Express Tech would work - both under $500. Must be popular in your area, Divers Direct had a rack of them in their Dania store.

Unless you chill easily, I'd forego the wetsuit. For jellyfish protection buy a lycra skin - they start at around $29 on leisurepro.com. There's also some 1MM skins/suits starting around $100 - I have one and it keeps me a little warmer.

my .02

Computer, Wetsuit (if needed), then I'd say dive lights if you intend to do any night diving (a small "backup" light can be handy in the daytime also). I say this because Dive Ops seem to charge a proportionately higher fee for renting lights than for other items, so they pay for themselves quickly.

Then BCD & Regs when you know you'll dive enough, know what you want, and are ready to keep track of maintenance. Tanks last

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom