Ear plugs for scuba diving, a mini review of the 2 different types

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bone dry? I doubt it

Ok maybe not bone dry but the Docs plugs kept out almost all the water and the Hydroseals even moreso to the point that I don't feel a thing.

How much trouble is it to do a simple preventative measure? I think you know what camp I'm in.

I don't follow. To me, the plugs ARE simple preventative measure.

I think you know what camp I'm in.

I don't know but I can guess? Space Camp!

I've used Doc's for years, though only when I don't use a hood. I rarely am hoodless. I found that they don't work well under a hood (get moved around I guess), and the hood pretty much does about the same job keeping water from going FAR into the ears. This is what I found the Docs did. I have had the line break, and lost a pair right off my head. To avoid this I began looping the line around my mask strap. I still use a Q Tip in my ears after each dive and at the end of the 2nd dive (done for the day) put in some ear drops. Haven't had any infections or even the Swimmers Ear I used to using this method.
This is the first I've heard of the other kind (Hydro), but won't look into these since I'm rarely hoodless.

I've been using Doc's for years after getting a severe ear infection shortly after I began diving. Hadn't had an infection since. Late last year, I was introduced to EarShield Spray. I bought one and started using it sans the Doc's. I was really thrilled with it since it was easier to use and felt like it was keeping my ears from letting a lot if water get in.

Alas, in July after a few days if several dives, I got an ear infection. Since then, I've gone back to the Doc's but have bought a pair of the Hydroseals to try. Haven't used them yet but will today. It may take a few dives to tell how effective they are.

I have perforated eardrums and cant go underwater at all. I use a combo of the pro plugs, ist pro ear mask and the fitted hood to hold the earpieces tight. I also shave the side of my head and beard and have had success diving with no water entering my ears. since this is my only option to go underwater I have worked to make it work and diev accordingly. attached is my latest dive, both dives around the 80 foot depths.

Okay, except for Mike41799 above, I am very curious why anyone would need ear plugs? I've been diving since before most of you were born, and have never worn ear plugs. Even ones with a hole in them could cause a reverse squeeze if that hole somehow got blocked. So tell me again, why the heck do you need ear plugs to dive?

SeaRat

Simply put, because it is the only thing that keeps me from getting ear infections, especially after a few days of diving. For some reason, water does not drain from my ears well so the best solution is to keep as little water as possible from getting into them.

And no, ear beers do not keep me from getting the infections.

I like the DPP, no swimmers ear since I started using them. The leash can be a problem as it tends to float and get caught in the first stage. That can cause it to bind when you turn your head and pull out a plug. Tucking the leash under your mask strap helps greatly. The hydroseal plugs sound like they are worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom