Ideas after Blackbeards this October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a relatively inexperienced diver doing Blackbeards in October. I booked my flight so I'd have 4 extra days before flying back. My work vacation policy is "use it or lose it", so I thought I'd rather have 4 days in the Bahamas than take a 4 day trip somewhere else or have 4 days off in Ohio.

Now I am looking for ideas on what else to do or see, diving or non-diving related, in the Bahamas?

I am a relatively inexperienced diver doing Blackbeards in October. I booked my flight so I'd have 4 extra days before flying back. My work vacation policy is "use it or lose it", so I thought I'd rather have 4 days in the Bahamas than take a 4 day trip somewhere else or have 4 days off in Ohio.

Now I am looking for ideas on what else to do or see, diving or non-diving related, in the Bahamas?

What is your budget for those 4 days?

No set budget, but not looking for anything overly grand and expensive - Blackbeards, the flight and dive gear should be the majority of the budget.

I will probably have a great time on Blackbeards and be relaxed and more confident and up for anything. But I worry about booking anything big that could follow a week of sea sickness, trouble sleeping and minor diving mishaps.

Obviously, find a place to stay and do some boat dives.

Nassau is pretty pricey but you can sometimes find deals but they're not near the dive ops. The 2 there besides "Dave" are Bahama Divers or Stuart Coves - both pickup in Nassau and at Paradise Island (across the bridge) or at Cable Beach. Coves entails a 45-60 min. shuttle ride to their south side location, BD is on the shore side of the PI bridge. I would say Cove's is slightly better for newer divers since they do the cruise dives plus near their location are several Bond (007) movie sets as well as some shallower wrecks. I don't think you'd have a problem with the Bahama Divers sites either - they get a lot of vacation traffic from the nearby resorts. About the only dive to skip is their Lost Blue Hole dive - to see anything you have to go 130' or slightly deeper - the hammerheads (if they're still there) will be 200' or so below that.

If you don't want do dive the whole time - the Atlantis Mega-Resort is on Paradise Island. Lots of water/marine life related activities - you can watch the fish/Manta feeds or do the dolphin encounters. I don't think they offer a dolphin dive but IDK.Some nice beaches but some like Cable Beach are pretty crowded - lots of big tower hotels front it.

Reasonably priced resorts are the Comfort Suites or Best Western on Paradise Island - CS has some sort of free access to some of Atlantis - IMO it''s because the towers block any water view they might have had.

We got talked into one of those $25 taxi (van) tours near the cruise port. Better than I expected, he took us to the old fort, a pristine beach on the east end, the waterfall downtown and left ius at the farmer's market downtown.

There's a lot of shuttles running around Nassau at very low cost or free. You can also take the ferry next to the cruise port over to Paradise Island.

I don't think you'd have time to fly to another island plus many of those flights hub in Miami. There's no inter-island ferry.

hth

Comfort Suites on Paradise Island is reasonably priced and grants you access to Atlantis Resort. You could also look into visiting one of the out islands - Eleuthera, San Sal or the Abacos. Domestic flights from Nassau will probably cost you around $200 RT.

I have a similar situation after Blackbeard's, except I have just three days. I was originally planning to do one of the shark feed dives with Stuart Cove's. Although, I haven't booked anything, partially because of price and also because I may be sort of "dived out" and just want to relax on the beach.

The Simply Dave tour sounds like a fun time though.

I have a similar situation after Blackbeard's, except I have just three days. I was originally planning to do one of the shark feed dives with Stuart Cove's. Although, I haven't booked anything, partially because of price and also because I may be sort of "dived out" and just want to relax on the beach.

The Simply Dave tour sounds like a fun time though.

After my Blackbeard's trip, I did two days of shark diving with SC and it was awesome! Highly recommend.

I did the same a few years ago and dove with Stuart Cove

shark dive Stuart Cove feeding 2013-02-02 SC-RWSA-z118s.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom