Aqualung i300 flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This computer has about 200 dives on it and on the last dive it flooded... The battery was changed once (because the computer also had a problem where it would not shut off when dry). The battery was changed properly (around 100 dives) and did many dives after it was changed with no issue. The last dive the computer started acting really weird and then shut off... Here are pictures of the computer, it was bought about a year and a half ago. I guess my question is should I send it in for repair/new computer or is it a waste of time? The product should still be under warranty if I am correct it is 5 years.

Attachments

• IMG_5875.jpeg
    IMG_5875.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 291
Sounds like the battery compartment O-ring failed (why, I cannot say). I have seen it happen on other similar computers before. The good news is, the battery compartment is separate from the main computer electronics. The big thing is to get the flooded battery out immediately, as especially with salt water, it will start to corrode immediately. Use a Qtip with some electronic contact cleaner & replace the battery & O-ring. Chances are, with doing that, the computer can likely be revived.

if it is covered under warranty, then they will send you a replacement. you will have to go through the aqualung dealer you purchased it from.

This computer has about 200 dives on it and on the last dive it flooded... The battery was changed once (because the computer also had a problem where it would not shut off when dry). The battery was changed properly (around 100 dives) and did many dives after it was changed with no issue. The last dive the computer started acting really weird and then shut off... Here are pictures of the computer, it was bought about a year and a half ago. I guess my question is should I send it in for repair/new computer or is it a waste of time? The product should still be under warranty if I am correct it is 5 years.
Of course it is worth trying to get it resolved by Aqualung, but you probably should work through your Aqualung LDS.
A few thoughts/notes:
  1. It is a 2 year limited warranty, not a 5 year warranty. (Not sure where 5 years would have come from...)
  2. It still might work once the terminals are cleaned up.
  3. Do you hopefully have a receipt either for a battery change by an Aqualung LDS, or for purchase of a battery kit including a new o-ring? If "changed properly" does not include changing the o-ring, then you may have a higher hill to climb.
  4. When working through your LDS, pass along this info to them: Be sure to go to the Aqualung on-line dealer training portal and complete the battery change course. Unlike the regulator courses that cost us $$ for each one, the battery course is free. In that course it says to replace the gold colored battery cover with a new black one, and includes the part number to order. Just might be possible that the gold cover is the root cause. Once up to speed, let them work that angle for you with Aqualung. Also provide them with this photo to send to Aqualung along with their request for a Return Authorization.
Good luck.

Sounds like the battery compartment O-ring failed (why, I cannot say). I have seen it happen on other similar computers before. The good news is, the battery compartment is separate from the main computer electronics. The big thing is to get the flooded battery out immediately, as especially with salt water, it will start to corrode immediately. Use a Qtip with some electronic contact cleaner & replace the battery & O-ring. Chances are, with doing that, the computer can likely be revived.
See this little on this picture? The computer came with that like there... It looks to me like that's where the water leaked in. Have you seen this here before?

Attachments

• IMG_5875.jpg
    IMG_5875.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 242
OP, who changed the battery at 100 dives?

Of course it is worth trying to get it resolved by Aqualung, but you probably should work through your Aqualung LDS.
A few thoughts/notes:
  1. It is a 2 year limited warranty, not a 5 year warranty. (Not sure where 5 years would have come from...)
  2. It still might work once the terminals are cleaned up.
  3. Do you hopefully have a receipt either for a battery change by an Aqualung LDS, or for purchase of a battery kit including a new o-ring? If "changed properly" does not include changing the o-ring, then you may have a higher hill to climb.
  4. When working through your LDS, pass along this info to them: Be sure to go to the Aqualung on-line dealer training portal and complete the battery change course. Unlike the regulator courses that cost us $$ for each one, the battery course is free. In that course it says to replace the gold colored battery cover with a new black one, and includes the part number to order. Just might be possible that the gold cover is the root cause. Once up to speed, let them work that angle for you with Aqualung. Also provide them with this photo to send to Aqualung along with their request for a Return Authorization.
Good luck.
1. Aqualung told me on the phone that it was 5 years (maybe they meant for BCs only?)
2. I will try to clean up the terminals to save it however I am worried it will flood again.
3. New O ring yes can probably find a receipt.
4. I did not see anything in the manual about the battery cover being replaced with a black cover... This is supposed to be a "user-replaceable battery" it does not make sense to me that it would be rocket science to change it (have a coarse to change it). Would you be kind enough to refer me to that part number for the replacement cap?

1. Aqualung told me on the phone that it was 5 years (maybe they meant for BCs only?)
2. I will try to clean up the terminals to save it however I am worried it will flood again.
3. New O ring yes can probably find a receipt.
4. I did not see anything in the manual about the battery cover being replaced with a black cover... This is supposed to be a "user-replaceable battery" it does not make sense to me that it would be rocket science to change it (have a coarse to change it). Would you be kind enough to refer me to that part number for the replacement cap?
AL BCDs do have a 5 year limited lifetime warranty.
The service course(s) I referenced are for the shop technicians, not for the consumer. Yes, they are very basic, but the course covers ALL of the various Aqualung computer line, including some specific issues on removing and replacing straps and bands when changing batteries or for other reasons.
The battery cover replacement is NOT to be done at each change. It is something that came up after the fact, and should be a one-time only thing. PN is NS911159 and includes everything that is removed during replacement except for the battery. You still have to go through an LDS to get one.
Whatever you do, do NOT reassemble that with the existing battery cover and just hope for the best - get it changed.

See this little on this picture? The computer came with that like there... It looks to me like that's where the water leaked in. Have you seen this here before?
That could do it. No telling how it was chipped, could have been the last battery change.... hard to say, but typically floods like that happen immediately after the change out.

Check how much it costs for the "repair" and time it will take and see if it's worth it to you, even if it isn't under warranty.

I put repair in quotes since the Oceanic, the mfg of the Aqua Lung computer, sent me a remanufactured computer to replace the Oceanic I sent in to be repaired, so I doubt you will get the same computer back. That was back awhile ago, but my understanding is they swap out computers until they have enough cores, and time, to do a production run of replacements. Most of the time the turnaround was quick, but your dealer would find out when setting up the return.

I would assume they would do the same thing with the Aqua Lung computer line.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom