Tips and Tricks for all divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

powdered graphite or the impregnated sprays?

I have used both. Being out of spray (for which the carrier evaporates dry, leaving the graphite), I happened to use powdered graphite today. I never run out of that, because I need it from time to time for older locks we have here and there. I could also have used some of the spray bicycle cable lube I have, which also evaporates dry leaving a lubricating film, but that stuff is more expensive.

Any of these alternatives make a decade-old brass bolt snap operate as though it were new. They don't hurt the operation of SS ones a bit, either!

:eek: You must have been horrified when you first realized no booties. Omg

YES! I knew exactly where I left them ... I had switched bags at the last minute ... won't make that mistake again.

Some people (me, for example) believe the use of a fastener with the sort of spring-loaded gate that deflects inward is hazardous. This includes 'biners, unless they are safety carabiners with a threaded collar that locks the gate, and snaps other than bolt snaps. The reason is that running to line can operate the gate and the line can become trapped inside the fastener, causing entanglement. (I know someone who even files the tab on the bolt snaps so fishing line won't snag on it on the outside.)

I personally am a big fan of bolt snaps. My tip is to lubricate them with graphite. It does not accumulate grit, and lasts a season or so. I know some people use silicone. Paraffin would likely work (as some old-timers did with bicycle chains), too. I use brass, which is cheaper, but many prefer SS despite the extra cost.
What is the general feeling about bolt shackles or trigger shackles as compared to bolt snaps? If there is tension on the line attached to the hardware, is there value in having something where you don’t have to work against that tension to get the snap to release? Or is there more of a danger if accidentally releasing that outweighs any advantages? I am thinking specifically of what would work best for a reef hook attachment to a BC

What is the general feeling about bolt shackles or trigger shackles as compared to bolt snaps? If there is tension on the line attached to the hardware, is there value in having something where you don’t have to work against that tension to get the snap to release? Or is there more of a danger if accidentally releasing that outweighs any advantages? I am thinking specifically of what would work best for a reef hook attachment to a BC

I'm looking forward to the answer here. Also, how do you store your reef hook before it's deployed?

I'm looking forward to the answer here. Also, how do you store your reef hook before it's deployed?

@AniMaL Diver

I have a double hook reef hook. Mine is a coil lanyard style. I clip off one end to my right shoulder d-ring and I flip the hook upside down and slide the area where the 2 hooks meet and leave it to rest on my sternum strap. (I have a Scubapro Ladyhawk.) The surface that hooks is therefore facing up. It makes for easy deployment and storage yet stays out of the way. It also stays put; I’ve never had it pop out yet.

@AniMaL Diver

I have a double hook reef hook. Mine is a coil lanyard style. I clip off one end to my right shoulder d-ring and I flip the hook upside down and slide the area where the 2 hooks meet and leave it to rest on my sternum strap. (I have a Scubapro Ladyhawk.) The surface that hooks is therefore facing up. It makes for easy deployment and storage yet stays out of the way. It also stays put; I’ve never had it pop out yet.

I have the Ladyhawk as well. Even so, can't quite get a visual on what you're explaining here.

I have 3 reef hooks. One is the double, as is yours and I'd prefer to use it but haven't been able to figure out how to stow it, without stabbing me or leaving the potential to hook onto something that I don't want to hook onto.

Then, I have a single but if I'm going with the single, I end up going lazy and using the single that I acquired on the Carpe Vita in Maldives. It has a clip on it to attach to my dring and also has a bit of a rod that can work as a pointer; the line winds around the rod. Yes, convenient in its way but also a huge catch point that I'm always having to watch out for.

There were some divers on an lob that had been to Palau and got their hooks from the lob or perhaps Sam's? Single hook with a ribbon like line that wrapped beautifully and efficiently into a flat pack, easily attached to bcd. I envied and have been searching the world since . . . OK, I haven't gone to Palau to search but should I have to? :p

12426592-4D93-4B84-A67B-47BEF5D66ED0.jpeg

I have never actually used one before, but I am about to dive for a month in Indo, so I expect I might get some practice soon.

As of now, I have the line daisy chained to keep it from tangling in my pocket. The end of the line that attaches to me has a big loop with a bowline that I figure I can use for a handle if I don’t want to clip it off to my BC.

It has a brass bolt snap, but wondering if I should replace that with the ss trigger snap in the pic. If I am hooked in on a strong current and need to ditch the reef hook, it seems like it would be easier to unhook the trigger snap since the tension on the line would keep the snap from releasing from a d-ring. With the bolt snap, it looks like I would have to rotate my hand at the wrist at a 90 degree angle to the current to get the d ring to slide along the snap where it could be released. only an inch, but I am a current newbie, so I don’t know how hard that would be.

When you first set the hook, you won't have air in your bcd, or at least minimal air. After your hook is really well set, you'll add some air to your bcd and let yourself gradually gracefully ease up and back from your hook. Then you're just flying like a flag. Heehee

To unhook, you let air out of your bcd and pull yourself back down to your hook to retrieve it.
In an emergency, you can slice your line (me, can't imagine that but have been told so).

I'm contemplating your question about the bolts cuz not really an area of expertise for me. I'll look forward to answers from the more experienced.

Back
Top Bottom