Looking for two flashlights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
im looking to buy two smaller flashlights. I did the whole large plastic light deal and disliked it. I’m looking for something I can put a bolt snap on and clip it to my harness. My budget is 150$ or less for one light (I will likely buy two a primary and a backup). My dad is only looking to spend like 60$ Per light or less on his so could you all suggest two of the best lights in those price ranges? These are mainly just going to be used in lower light situations such as inside a wreck and not really for night dives. Thank you!

I have 2 of these, good burn time, good light output.
Use these for night dives and low viz, excellent general light.
Very robust metal construction.
I hang mine from a bolt snap.
There is also a cheaper version with lower output that uses a single battery.

DGX 800 Handheld Light Kit | Dive Gear Express®

You might like the Big Blue 450W or 450N.

I own the DGX 600 and it's a dandy little light, but I never use it as a primary. It's a "twist-on/off" design which is very hard to operate with one hand.

I really like the XTAR D26 Whale, which has a small button that (1) locks the off position and (2) lets you change the brightness with multiple presses. It also has an LED that is green but turns red if your battery starts to run low.

The XTAR costs about $10 more than the DGX. It is well worth it, IMO.

I just picked up and used a SEAC R3. It was right about $90 and worked very well at 85 fsw. It was compact enough to fit in BCD pocket.

The light mentioned by @tbone1004 seems to be similar to the XTAR, albeit with a greater brightness. I wonder if most (non-cave) divers would think that justifies paying almost twice as much as the XTAR? ($129 vs. $69).

@dberry I don't like the 26650 form factor compared to the 18650 form factor. Lumen output is going to be about the same with all of them so I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any of the single Cree's based on a couple hundred claimed lumen.

This one is really good as well, though with most all of these kinds of lights I recommend getting rid of the battery and charger that they come with and getting one that doesn't suck....
https://www.amazon.com/VOLADOR-Flas...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PBD3XGGJCR0RWJMYKX12

Back
Top Bottom