Tips and Tricks for all divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did anyone mention that before rolling, look at your SPG guage and take a couple of fast breaths off of your reg. Does the needle move? If so, your tank isn't open. You don't want to go in like that. :wink:

I have Mares fins with spring straps. The straps would sometimes get unattached from the fin. I use a garden hose washer over the post after attaching the strap. No slipping.

I use an old camera housing to hold my key fob for my car, good to 200FSW. Also doubles as a float to keep my line holder that is slung over my shoulder above and behind my shoulder.

When I'm snorkeling I put sinkers in the camera housing along with the fob so as to make the case neutral in the water. I do the same thing with my real camera, attached on the outside of course.

The line for my float is marked at 10' intervals, a loop with plastic ties, each plastic tie is 10' this enables me to have only 10' more line deployed than my current depth. If I'm at 40FSW I deploy line until I see a loop with 5 plastic ties that's 50'.

It does not apply only to wrecks but in general as well, if you get entangled in something you cant cut a metal connection.

Some wrecks have open bowls (not sure if tha'ts the correct word) that you can get in with out wreck qualification but at the end of the day there are still metal rods etc sticking out which do pose an entanglement risk if you dont pay attention.

I think this should be taught since day 1 of OW - you cant cut a metal connection.

Thanks for the explanation.

When diving into the hatch of a wreck. Allow clearance for your first stage regulator.

You wouldn't have need that duct tape if you had lycra dive socks :wink:
But yes, duct tape handy to have no matter where you go or what you are doing. Don't need to take your whole big roll, just rewind some neatly on a pencil and toss it in your dop or first aid kit.

This was a 'comedy or errors' sort of thing. First I forgot my booties, so I had to rent fins. I had my lycra socks but still got a blister because I was using fins that really needed boots (they didn't have regular full foot fins but these fit ok). That's when I realized I hadn't brought my antibiotic ointment or bandaids I normally bring!! I ended up taping the toe and wearing a pair of thick athletic socks AND my lycra socks - and that worked well.

I'm already packing for our next trip - and my boots are in the bag - along with TWO pair of lycra socks!!

Both work well. I have also used liquid bandaid. Before my last dive trip I accidentally kicked my scale with my pinky toe and it split open like a banana. I glued it all shut to keep out any nasties. It holds for a few days before the edges start lifting.

Good ole Super glue or Crazy glue will work just as well.

This was a 'comedy or errors' sort of thing. First I forgot my booties, so I had to rent fins. I had my lycra socks but still got a blister because I was using fins that really needed boots (they didn't have regular full foot fins but these fit ok). That's when I realized I hadn't brought my antibiotic ointment or bandaids I normally bring!! I ended up taping the toe and wearing a pair of thick athletic socks AND my lycra socks - and that worked well.

I'm already packing for our next trip - and my boots are in the bag - along with TWO pair of lycra socks!!

:eek: You must have been horrified when you first realized no booties. Omg

I pack my booties in my fin pockets but if you aren't taking fins, that's not going to work, lol.

I pack my lycra socks in a packing cube along with my bathing suits. (In checked bag)

Of course my carry on has a bathing suit and a pair of lycra socks too!

I even bring along my old raggedy ones and convert folks on the liveaboards as their feet start to blister and or bleed. As soon as I hear a complaint, I'll say "these are my old ones but they'll still help you, would you like to try them?" Those folks make lycra dive sock purchase first thing upon returning home.

The only problem I see with that is that the line on spool attached to the DSMB is very thin. If some current picks up at the surface it could be hard to stay with your DSMB and you could get separated from it.

I use mountain climbing carabiners to connect and carry most items. You can use them to connect yourself to the line. If you are tying off to something on the bottom you can connect with the carabiner so the line will not part due to wear. In a current when you are tied off to a weight belt you will be pulled off your location but it will keep you reasonably close to where you want to be.

With 1/4” or smaller line you can use 2 carabiners as a makeshift block and tackle. I would suggest double tackle or less as too many turns will bind up.

I use mountain climbing carabiners to connect and carry most items. You can use them to connect yourself to the line. If you are tying off to something on the bottom you can connect with the carabiner so the line will not part due to wear. In a current when you are tied off to a weight belt you will be pulled off your location but it will keep you reasonably close to where you want to be.

With 1/4” or smaller line you can use 2 carabiners as a makeshift block and tackle. I would suggest double tackle or less as too many turns will bind up.

Some people (me, for example) believe the use of a fastener with the sort of spring-loaded gate that deflects inward is hazardous. This includes 'biners, unless they are safety carabiners with a threaded collar that locks the gate, and snaps other than bolt snaps. The reason is that running to line can operate the gate and the line can become trapped inside the fastener, causing entanglement. (I know someone who even files the tab on the bolt snaps so fishing line won't snag on it on the outside.)

I personally am a big fan of bolt snaps. My tip is to lubricate them with graphite. It does not accumulate grit, and lasts a season or so. I know some people use silicone. Paraffin would likely work (as some old-timers did with bicycle chains), too. I use brass, which is cheaper, but many prefer SS despite the extra cost.

Some people (me, for example) believe the use of a fastener with the sort of spring-loaded gate that deflects inward is hazardous. This includes 'biners, unless they are safety carabiners with a threaded collar that locks the gate, and snaps other than bolt snaps. The reason is that running to line can operate the gate and the line can become trapped inside the fastener, causing entanglement. (I know someone who even files the tab on the bolt snaps so fishing line won't snag on it on the outside.)

I personally am a big fan of bolt snaps. My tip is to lubricate them with graphite. It does not accumulate grit, and lasts a season or so. I know some people use silicone. Paraffin would likely work (as some old-timers did with bicycle chains), too. I use brass, which is cheaper, but many prefer SS despite the extra cost.
powdered graphite or the impregnated sprays?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom