Difference between tank vis ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackOfDiamonds

Jewish Space Laser Operator
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello ,

I've recently had my scuba tank (12L/AL80) visually inspected and encountered something frustrating that I would like to know more about .

I had my tank inspected under "IANTD" standards which as far as I'm aware are pretty strict.
The same DC I had the tank inspected had no problem filling my tank with any nitrox mix , along with all the clubs that operate under "IANTD".

When i went to a different DC to have my tank filled with nitrox they refused to refill my tank with anything but air.
They claimed it's because they operate under a different standard, "ANDI - Safe Air " .

I was baffled because they had no problem refilling my tank with air but they refused to fill any mix above 21%.

I'm genuinely curious , is there a difference or a reason why would they do this ? Or is this just another case of pointless bureaucracy?

Would appreciate any insights .

A visual inspection does not include O2 cleaning.

To expand a bit on the above, perhaps Shop A does continuous blending, and Shop B does partial pressure blending. Perhaps Shop A did not punch out the "O2 clean" mark on the inspection sticker (for which there might be more than one reason). If these postulates happen to be true, Shop B is being responsible to themselves, and to you. If one is not true, then a bit more investigation might be in order before being annoyed with Shop B.

Just my 2 PSI.

When I worked at a ANDI facility , to create a nitrox fill they used 50% O2 rather than 100% to create the partial pressure mix. Tanks need to be O2 cleaned , Ed Betts was owner of ANDI at the time and custom made the fill panel used.

A visual inspection does not include O2 cleaning.

Under IANTD it does include O2 cleaning , my tank even has the sticker attached to it indicating its safe for O2 use.

Under IANTD it does include O2 cleaning , my tank even has the sticker attached to it indicating its safe for O2 use.

I think this is a difference in intended semantics.

Some VIP *classes* include O2 cleaning training.

No VIP *inspection* I am aware of includes O2 cleaning as a matter of course.

I think this is a difference in intended semantics.

Some VIP *classes* include O2 cleaning training.

No VIP *inspection* I am aware of includes O2 cleaning as a matter of course.

I think i lost you there, my English could probably use some honing .

the VIP Inspection i have done does including O2 cleaning as part of IANTD (International association for Nitrox & Technical Divers ) does require O2 cleaning for tanks as indicated on my tank's sticker. (Would take a picture but im not home atm)

I didint take any class what so ever, just wanted to have my tank inspected and later filled at a different DC.

Apologize in advance if i misunderstood you

Perhaps it was not a tank issue, did you present a card to the filling station thy said you were qualified to use mixes over 21% ? Just a thought. My local shops never check mine because they KNOW me, when I travel it’s a different situation. Just a thought!

I think i lost you there, my English could probably use some honing .

the VIP Inspection i have done does including O2 cleaning as part of IANTD (International association for Nitrox & Technical Divers ) does require O2 cleaning for tanks as indicated on my tank's sticker. (Would take a picture but im not home atm)

I didint take any class what so ever, just wanted to have my tank inspected and later filled at a different DC.

Apologize in advance if i misunderstood you

JD...

I'd like to see the VIP sticker on your cylinder...

There is O2 cleaned for max 40% service...there is also 100% oxygen service cleaned...for either 100% oxygen service...and partial pressure fill service where 100% oxygen is introduced into the cylinder first...before it is topped up with 21 % (air)...

A cylinder that is cleaned for 40% oxygen service...cannot be filled by the partial pressure fill method...

Then there is the ''blend stick'' pre-mix fill method to 40% max...where the cylinder does not have to be oxygen service cleaned at all...

The best way to be sure is to always have your cylinders/valves cleaned for 100% oxygen service...and ensure the shop you use is always using hyperfiltered air...if not the cylinder will have to be recleaned...

Personally...I'm not a believer in a cylinder cleaned for max 40%...in my mind the cylinder/valve is either cleaned for 100% oxygen service...or it's not...

I've seen shops that claim to be performing 100% O2 cleaning on the cylinders...but leave the valves untouched...

The attached is the VIP sticker I use...with the appropriate punch-outs for 100% oxygen service cleaned...

This yellow/green VIP sticker also eliminates the need for large NITROX bands...

Hope this helps...

Best...

Warren

NITROX VIP Sticker.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom