How do you pack your gear for an internatIonal dive trip?

How do you pack for an international dive trip?

• Put all of my dive gear in a checked bag.. lost luggage won’t happen to me!

Votes: 13 11.4%
  • BCD and fins in checked luggage, regs and computers in carry-on...

Votes: 89 78.1%
  • Wear your full setup on the flight so nothing has to be checked.

Votes: 12 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the way out, the Deep 6 fins get carried on, as well as mask, computers, regs, and minimal clothing. I could deal with a rental BCD and wet suit if I had to, but floppy rental fins? No way!

Not enough choices in the poll, I use checked baggage for all but camera gear and other electronics like computers.

There's a thing called insurance, best to have it then have not.

For my next trip to the UK later this week, I have a hard suitcase with drysuit, undersuit, wing, backplate, mask and regulator weighing in at 21Kg and a soft bag with a stage regulator, fins, strobe arms, spare mask, and a few spare parts, and perhaps some clothes.

Camera housing and strobes usually go in a Pelican 1510 case, but I've picked up a small Delsey roller back of a similar size and I carry a Lowepro backpack that has a special compartment for my Mac, and holds my camera, lenses, dive computers and batteries.

I checked "wear your full setup".
While that is not what I'll actually do, I do put all my gear for warm water dives, including fins (relatively small and light for the purpose Oceanic Accel fins) into my carry on and all my camera gear into my personal bag. But where carry on is weight restricted, that does get iffy.
The camera gear and batteries alone may reach or exceed that limit and putting small, but heavy gear (like batteries galore all in their individual baggies and then bagged in a bundle) and de-hosed first stages, alu-housed flash lights..., power bank...) into the caverneous pockets of my rain-shell / wind breaker and wearing that as need be on the airport (as I've done), helps, but still would not let me beat the most severe weight restrictions and I am reduced to hoping the camera bag gets waived through anyway. I have only done it to that extend (All really needed gear except cutting tools on me / in carry on) three times. Twice to FL, once to Cebu.
I got close a further two times before, but the then longer fins did not make it into the carry on.

These trips were with 1 to 3 adfitional family members. The more, the merrier, because the camera gear is, so to speak shared by more and i.e. bringing one extra complete first and second stage when 4 travel is no big deal. With 4 people i.e. we can get all regulators into one (legal size i.e. for spirit air) personal bag and all the camera gear in another and have 2 more personal bags for other stuff (The carry on backpacks or duffels) are pretty much full with diving gear, swimsuit and a t-shirt or such...) And then there is checked luggag for clothing, shoes, spare gear..., repair kit, first aid kit, cutting tools... luxuries...
Traveling as a single person and bringing all esdential gear, including camera with me and only non essentials in checked luggage would mean carrying more on my person yet. Haven't tried yet. Did do it by myself with just a compact camera earlier this year so. But some essential gear in this case (Adv. Wreck class) like the big reel was left in checked luggage. It was known to be borrowable... and I did not want that funny looking thing in carry on to cause an issue. (That flight was from China to Clark in the Philippines).
Why bother?
Well, why bring my own gear and then risk it not beong there when and from where i.e. the boat leaves (may not be from the same island the plane landed at...) and then not make sure I actually have it when I would need it. Getting it after the LOB returned would be better than loosing it, but I rather have it with certaimty before the LOB departs if / when I choose to go through the hazzle of bringing it.
On the way back, if allowance for gear to arrive late can be given, everything gets easier... Lugging the heaviest stuff on the airports is a bit of a pain. I like the airports with the free little carts... and free showers for transfer passengers... like Incheon...

20180707_095451.jpg Just returned from 3 weeks in Malapascua.
Routing was SKB-MIA-DFW-HKG-CEBU.
4 sets of regs+dive computers+camera+all lithium in hand luggage.
Everything else in 2 checked bags.
No problem in the Phillipines or anywhere else carrying regs though occasionally the bag will get checked by hand (MIA).
Just make sure that no cutting tools or lines are in there.
Inside my hand luggage, I have nothing "loose", everything is in pouches, that way stuff does not get dropped during hand examination.
Airlines in Asia always used the "weight concept" for luggage, now some are moving to the "piece" concept as per USA. You need to check this as it can drastically alter the ticket price.
On Philippine airlines it can work out cheaper to buy a business class ticket than pay extra luggage. On Cebu Pacific (great low cost carrier) you buy luggage as required.
Manilla airport is not fun, fly to clarke if you are not staying in Mannila.
Cebu airport is better than many in the USA, new terminal just opened.
Done this sort of Asia trip for the last 5 years. My buddy often travels with a rebreather, electronic head goes as carry on.
Enjoy your trip, fabulous country great diving and wonderful people.
This is our luggage for 2 on a 3-4 week dive tour.
20180707_095451.jpg

Just came back from a recent trip how I packed:
Carry On Roller Bag - about 40lbs
AL19 Pony
AL19 Valve
Primary and Pony Reg set and related parts
One of my masks
Flashlights and batteries
Dive computers

Large Hard Side Samsonite Roller Bag - about 50lbs
BPW
3mm Shortie
5mm Full Suit
Tools to reassemble pony
Fins
Dry Bag and Mesh Bag
Knives, SMB, Spools, Reels, et al

Also had my boat coat in my clothing bag.

I just have one large dive bag. I put everything including my clothes in there. I put high value electronics (computer, go pro) into my carry-on back pack. I do try to avoid tight connections and an overnight at the destination before the live aboard sails also reduces the risk of bags not getting there. There is no way I can carry on all my gear so may as well check it all in then!

FWIW, my international trips are to the Tulum/Cozumel area for cenote diving. My carry on contains everything that I prefer not do without in the event of theft or lost luggage:
- 3 regulators (2 side mounts and a stage). I individually "circle" each hose on the regs and use two zip ties to keep the hoses from flapping around especially if TSA wants to pull them out (only an issue on Tallahassee),
- 2 computers,
- analyzers,
- mask,
- primary can, primary HH, and 3 backup lights,
- a change of clothes which serves as padding for the above, and
- more clothes room permitting.

My checked back is a rolling duffel bag which contains exposure protection, booties, fins, reels, cutting devices, buoyancy system, miscellaneous parts and tools, and the rest of my clothes and towels.

My checked bag usually weighs in from 48 to 50 pounds. I think my carryon is generally around 35 to 40.

I use a double reg bag from armor that holds the regs, computers, power bank, travel docs ,powerbars, etc. Then in a osprey backpack I carry my sidemount rig in with a couple days clothes, my boots, fins, and mask. We had our checked bags delayed going to Curacao I dove for two days without issue until our luggage arrived.

@annasea it has been very hit and miss for some people for regs on carry on. @Damselfish i saw the same link/doc as you.

I saw people with issues at the airport last year and they had to dump their carry on bag to check the reg then hand carry their stuff that was originally in their backpack wrapped in their jacket. I know many people report not having issues. It is not consistent. Better safe than sorry at security in my opinion. The security, gate, and check in lines in PH are no joke and a nightmare. I wouldn’t want to have to double back and lose my spot or delay myself.
Interesting. I wonder if things have changed then. I must have passed through airports at least a dozen times in the PI and never had any problems whatsoever, and my reg was always in my carry-on, as was my u/w camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom