Found cell in Columbia shallows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Cindy t
You are doing the right thing. Never mind that this needs to be questioned or become a technical discussion. That just can't be helped. If it was my phone (it is not), I sure would try to salvage the data even so I might think myself that may not work anymore. And even if it all was toast, I might be glad I know it is toast and not in some hackers hands...

If it was fresh water, there's might be a chance of drying it out in a bag of rice. But in salt water... it's toast. I dove the Frederiksted Pier with my iPhone 7 in the pocket of my swim trunks. No deeper than 25-30 ft. I eventually got $45 for it as a non-functioning phone at Gazelle.

Agree with @Schwob , you're doing the right thing. It doesn't matter if it's dead it not. Property returned to rightful owner.

Also, the market for "wet" modern smartphones (particularly iPhones) is generally far better than $45 (when on eBay).

Good luck!

Maybe the owner doesn’t want it back? One never knows........

Doesn't matter whether they do or not. What matters hetehis that the finder is making the effort.

On the other hand, my partner dropped her iphone off the dock in Grand Cayman around midnight on our first night there. We had had a few and it was dark and I didn't know the depth or bottom so I waited until morning to free dive down and get it. Rinsed it, bagged it in rice, and a week later it worked well enough to get precious data off of it.

I believe current iPhones are rated to 9' submersion, and there are some youtube videos showing guys testing them to >20-25' before the phones fried. (Kids, don't try this at home). I think the point is once salt water gets to the electronics, drying it out isn't going to solve the problem.

On the other hand, my partner dropped her iphone off the dock in Grand Cayman around midnight on our first night there. We had had a few and it was dark and I didn't know the depth or bottom so I waited until morning to free dive down and get it. Rinsed it, bagged it in rice, and a week later it worked well enough to get precious data off of it.

How deep was it submerged?

Not that waterproof.

My S10 + Survived a 2 hour dunk into 10ft of water , did not even corrode .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom