Suggestions for Diving/Snorkeling Florida Keys this July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be in the Keys this July. We are a group of divers and snorkelers.

Any suggestions for good dives (and operators), especially if we will be with snorkelers too? I have seen one possibility is Molasses Reef (looks like it's near Key Largo)? Some of the group are pretty new divers so nothing too crazy, but we love both wrecks and reefs.

Any thoughts welcome!

The best diving is in the upper keys. I have used and recommend Rainbow Reef and Conch Republic. Rainbow Reef will provide an in-water guide at no extra charge. They are willing to accommodate snorkelers, and I had a good experience snorkeling with them on a trip to the Christ of the Abyss statute -- my wife wanted to snorkel so I did that with her and my kids went on SCUBA. We had a great time snorkeling. It's a shallow site, and we had a nice long swim since we were first in and last out. In contrast my kids ended up being grouped with some very new divers who ended up performing the "surface swim of shame" back to the boat.

Conch Republic caters to more experienced, independent divers though they are happy to take newly certified divers and will provide a guide for a fee if you want one.

I have used the concession operator at Pennekamp State Park. They are OK but I wouldn't recommend them unless either: 1) you want to go to one of the few sites that they cover but no one else does, or 2) you or someone you're traveling with is staying at the park for other reasons and the logistics make sense.

In Key West, the Vandenberg is the main attraction. I've been on it. It's a deep dive, usually planned at 95 feet, though there are deeper and shallower parts. Captain's Corner goes there every day and I recommend them. Dive Key West is another good operator I can recommend.

I believe Rainbow Reef takes both divers and snorklers to some shallow reefs and shallow wrecks. For newer divers they're great as they put a free guide in the water. They also have some deep wrecks that require AOW cert.
I can confirm this now too. I called and will be diving with them in September. They put a free guide in the water and absolutely allow snorkelers with the divers on the shallower sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom